Roasted bell peppers stuffed with taco spiced beef and topped with cheese. These stuffed peppers proudly represent the low-carb diet in all its glory. They are delicious, nutritious, and are sure to please just about anyone. This healthy alternative to tacos removes the tortillas all together and allows you to enjoy a flavor packed taco without all the added carbs or guilt!
Colorful food is everything to me. I shop in colors at the supermarket. Every time I see a trio of bell peppers I grab it with excitement because there’s always something delicious to be made with these colorful bell peppers.
Oven roasting bell peppers is probably the best way to cook them. The second best way is oven roasting and stuffing them. They make a great base for stuffing veggies, rice, and meats.
Taco meat and cheese make a great tasty bell pepper. After the pepper tacos are cooked, top them off with your favorite taco toppings. We topped them with lots of lettuce, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, cheese and lots of lime juice. The hearty mild flavor of the taco filling along with the roasted bell peppers, and fresh crisp toppings is a flavor explosion in your mouth with each bite.
If you’re like me, grab them and bite them like you would a taco or if you’re more formal and or with guests, be sure to serve these with a knife and for and enjoy them as a civilized human being. Either way, I’m sure you are going to love these taco boats as much as we did.
P.S I they are also great for meal prepping too! I packed two bell pepper boats in each meal prep container for a filling low-carb lunch.
Skinny Low-Carb Bell Pepper TacosPrint Rate
- 4 bell peppers colors of choice
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 packet taco seasoning see note below to make your own blend
- 1 cup water
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- sliced jalapeños
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- fresh avocado of guacamole
- fresh minced cilantro
- shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Slice each bell pepper in half. Remove stem and seeds. Place peppers on sheet pan and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- While the peppers are roasting, Brown onion in 1 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-duty pan. When the onion starts to brown, add the ground meat. Crumble and stir meat for 2-3 minutes or until brown. Add taco seasoning and stir for 2 minutes. Next add 1 cup of water and simmer mixture for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Fill each bell pepper with about 1/2 cup of taco meat mixture (or until full). Top with a sprinkle of cheese and return to oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with topping options on the side or assemble the toppings yourself. To store, place in an airtight container for 4-5 days in the fridge. Microwave for 2 minutes and top with fresh topping to serve. Enjoy!