Can you believe these chicken shawarma are plant-based (vegetarian and vegan without the white sauce)?! Who would have guessed? Now before I continue, you may be asking yourself, what’s this meatless “chicken”, so let me explain.
A few weeks ago when Beyond Meat challenged me to create a delicious recipe with their variety of plant-based ‘meats’. The challenge was to make a dish by secretly substituting the meat with their Beyond Chicken strips. Then introduce the dish to my family; but without telling them it’s a plant protein. So I did….I made chicken shawarma with the Beyond Chicken and served them to my 7 and 3-year-old girls. They had NO idea the chicken they were eating was actually plant protein. I swear, they ate their whole sandwiches without a single complain. Keep in mind we are talking about picky kids here. High Five!
I decide to test my husband next, so I packed him 2 chicken Shawarma for lunch. I didn’t mention anything about the ‘chicken’ until after he had his lunch. Then I texted him and told him it was not ‘real’ chicken and he was shocked!
So what’s the secret to this delicious chicken? well the first thing is my yummy spices and the 2nd thing of course is the texture and flavor of the Beyond Meat Chicken. The chicken strips have the same texture and bite as regular chicken.
Beyond Meat’s 100% plant-based products enable families to continue to eat what they love—like beef nachos, chili, pasta Bolognese, chicken fajita, and meatball subs—without the health and other downsides of animal protein. They are all GMO-free, animal fat-free, and hormone and antibiotic-free. They pack 10-20 grams of protein, and have a lower environmental impact than animal protein. No wonder many athletes including David Wright, Maya Moore, and DeAndre Jordan are implemnting Beyond Meat in their diets.
- 1 pack Beyond Meat Chicken strips
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil 2 for the pan and 2 in the paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- For Assembly
- 4 pitas
- optional toppings sliced onion tomatoes, lettuce</span>
- Creamy Yogurt White Sauce omit for vegan version
- Combine the spices, garlic, and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. The mixture will form a thick paste. Next, add the chicken strips and onions. Combine the chicken with the paste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large heavy-duty pan or skillet. After the pan is very hot toss in the chicken and onion mixture. Sautee for 2-3 minutes or until he chicken is lightly charred and the onions are soft.
- To Assemble: to make a shawarma sandwich, lay a pita flat on a plate with a sheet of foil under it. Top with chicken, veggies and shawarma sauce.
Now for the best part!! Enter to win Le Crueset cookware, 3 months of Chef’d meal delivery, a $500 Visa Gift Card, and a chance to watch our athletes in action! The Future of Protein Challenge Sweepstakes for an easy and fun way to incorporate the Future of Protein with your own family. Here’s how:
1. Purchase Beyond Meat products with this coupon
3. After everyone has enjoyed the meal, reveal to them that the meat they just ate was made from 100% plants! Capture their thoughts, comments, and of course, empty plates and happy faces.
4. Post your photos and a recap of the dinner to Instagram or Twitter by 11:00PM PST on 10/31, tagging “@BeyondMeat” and “#FutureOfProtein”—this will automatically enter you in the sweepstakes.
This is a partnered post. As always, All opinions are my own.