Healthy, light and zesty. The perfect quick and easy one skillet dinner.
I’m always trying to find ways to eat a little healthier but rice always gets the best of me. I cook with rice alot but now I’ve started incorporating quinoa into my dishes instead because it’s so much more healthier than rice.
Quinoa is usually grouped with the grains, but it’s really a seed and when cooked, pops open and becomes soft and a little spongy. Kind of like rice, texture but fluffier! It comes in yellow, red, black, or mixed. I used mixed for this dish.
This quick and easy dish uses frozen mixed vegetables (I used a mixture of carrots, beans, and corn), chicken, quinoa and lots of cheese. yum!
It’s super easy to make and is ready in under 30 minutes.You basically saute all the ingredients and then cover and wait for the magic to happen. The quinoa is even cooked right in the same skillet. Less mess, less cleanup.
Hurry to quick and easy meals and easy clean up!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables peas, beans, carrots, corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 12 ounces crushed tomatoes or chopped tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar shredded ( I used the Mexican blend)
- scallions for garnish optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion cook for 2 minutes or until tender, add the chicken, frozen veggies and garlic, sprinkle salt and pepper and Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned 6-8 minutes.
Pour in the tomatoes, water ; bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and cilantro; cook 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated (it should look thick and saucy).
- Spread an even layer of cheese over the top of the skillet. Melt cheese under the broiler for just 2-3 minutes or until bubbly and golden, be sure to keep an eye on it while it's under the broiler because the broiler can burn the cheese very quickly. Garnish with scallions or cilantro, if desired.Serve immediately.