Healthy, light and zesty. The perfect quick and easy one skillet dinner.
I’m always trying to find ways to eat a little healthier but rice always gets the best of me. I cook with rice alot but now I’ve started incorporating quinoa into my dishes instead because it’s so much more healthier than rice.
Quinoa is usually grouped with the grains, but it’s really a seed and when cooked, pops open and becomes soft and a little spongy. Kind of like rice, texture but fluffier! It comes in yellow, red, black, or mixed. I used mixed for this dish.
This quick and easy dish uses frozen mixed vegetables (I used a mixture of carrots, beans, and corn), chicken, quinoa and lots of cheese. yum!
It’s super easy to make and is ready in under 30 minutes.You basically saute all the ingredients and then cover and wait for the magic to happen. The quinoa is even cooked right in the same skillet. Less mess, less cleanup.
Hurry to quick and easy meals and easy clean up!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables peas, beans, carrots, corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 12 ounces crushed tomatoes or chopped tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar shredded ( I used the Mexican blend)
- scallions for garnish optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion cook for 2 minutes or until tender, add the chicken, frozen veggies and garlic, sprinkle salt and pepper and Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned 6-8 minutes.
Pour in the tomatoes, water ; bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and cilantro; cook 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated (it should look thick and saucy).
- Spread an even layer of cheese over the top of the skillet. Melt cheese under the broiler for just 2-3 minutes or until bubbly and golden, be sure to keep an eye on it while it's under the broiler because the broiler can burn the cheese very quickly. Garnish with scallions or cilantro, if desired.Serve immediately.
We love quinoa and this recipe looks delicious. Thanks for the inspiration.
Amy M. says
Made this and I too found I needed to cook the quinoa longer and used chicken stock instead of water to add more flavoring. Tasted bland and added in some cayenne powder and it really helped to add some flavor. I used fresh purée tomatoes, so don’t know if that made a difference to the original taste. I think I’d add the frozen veggies later in the recipe, probably at the same time as the quinoa instead, as they seemed over done.
Did you Pre cook the chicken before adding iN other ingrEdienTs?
A great quick filling weekday meal. A nice go to idea. I use about 6 ounces of the froze veggies and 8 ounces of cheese on top
Allison Moon says
I’m finding that i have to cook this dish for more than 30 minutes to get the quinoa to cook through! This doesn’t seem right! THis is the second time that I’ve tried this dish and run into that problem. Suggestions?
Dee Wehr says
I had the same problem.
Pat Berado says
I have tried this yesterday many times and my family loves it. If you don’t like quinoa a great substitute is brown rice.
Sarah | Scrumptiously Skinny says
This looks super tasty! Not to mention…love the easy clean-up 1 skillet provides!
Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner says
Yeah, less dishes! And this looks fab!! 🙂
Caitlin @ teaspoon says
I love one pot meals! This looks delish.
Leah | So, How's It Taste? says
That looks so good! I really enjoy quinoa but often get stuck in rice mode, too. Can’t wait to give this a try!
I know! It’s time we shift over to the other side haha!
Christine @ Cooking with Cakes says
CHEE!!!!!!!!!!!! girrrl you know what really gets me through the day, this looks INSANE. seriously loving the step by step photos too, so delish!
Thanks Christine! You know how much I LOVE cheese! If I can top desserts with cheese I would.
Consuelo - Honey & Figs says
Ohhh I love easy healthy meals like this one! And that cheese on top sounds gorgeous to me 😉
Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron says
I love one skillet meals! And quinoa is my favorite! Gorgeous!! Pinned 🙂
Thanks for the Pin, Chelsea! 🙂
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
This looks like a skillet of supreme happiness seriously!