If there’s ever a better way to eat bananas, this is it! Just the thought of bananas rolled in spring roll pastry and served with ice-cream makes me smile.
This is one of those desserts that’s sure to impress everyone because of how sophisticated it looks and how flavorful it is. Just don’t bother telling everyone how easy these spring rolls were to make and that they cost you close to nothing. They take under 20 minutes to make and freeze well too. No more need to go paying over $10 for a dessert you can make at home for a fraction of the price.
I like to serve these spring rolls with ice-cream and a drizzle of either chocolate or caramel sauce. The creamy cold ice-cream pairs very well with the sweet and crispy spring rolls.
Banana Spring Rolls
- 8 large egg roll wrappers
- 4 bananas cut in half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- cinnamon for sprinkling
- vegetable oil for frying
Paste to seal edges
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Combine the ingredients for the paste and set aside.
Slice the banana into half so you have to short pieces. You should be able to make 8 spring rolls with 4 bananas.
- Lay a spring roll/wonton wrapper on a clean, dry surface. place a piece of banana on the edge of the wrapper, sprinkle about a tablespoon of sugar on it and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon (about 1/4 teaspoon), roll up the bananas, tucking in the ends of the wrapper, brush the paste alongside the edge of the wrapper with the flour paste and seal. Repeat with the remaining spring rolls.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a medium frying pan over high heat. Cook the spring rolls for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve spring rolls with ice-cream and a drizzle of your favorite sauce.
Tina G says
What are the ingredients for the paste? Did I miss something?
The ingredients for the paste are 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons of flour and that is to seal the spring rolls.
How do you store these if making ahead?
J herb says
Beware! The DIRECTIONS tell you to use spring rolls, which are made of rice. But the pictures are actually won ton wrappers, which are completely different. I didn’t realize this until I Made them. Do not use spring rolls! They do not turn out well at all.
Sorry for the confusion. We use the egg roll (aka spring roll) wrappers that are made of flour. They come in large squares and are used to make spring and egg rolls. You must have used the summer roll rice flour wrappers that are used for making Vietnamese spring/summer rolls. Those type of rice wrappers are not used for frying but rather quickly blanched in water before using them.
Egg rolls are not spring rolls! 2 totally different things! One made with rice and very thin and the other made from flour and thicker
Was wondering if you can freeze them cooked and warm them up at the time? Thanks!
sorry even though I haven’t made these. However someone asked if they could be made ahead and frozen for later use. You cannot make and freeze because you will end up with a brown mushy banana MESS.
Cateraar Wassenaar says
Wow, This looks incredible!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
so brilliant! I love how crisp the spring rolls are and how they’re a decadent banana-y twist, mmmm
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says
With a little dot of ice cream on top these spring rolls are perfect! Love how you incorporated banana in this!