Crispy Southwest egg rolls loaded with chicken, beans, corn, bell pepper, cheese, cilantro and lots of Mexican spices. They can be baked or fried for the perfect appetizer or anytime snack! They can also be frozen for future use, instructions for freezing included! If you’re looking for a tasty flavor packed appetizer then these Southwest egg rolls are the way to go. They are packed full of chicken, veggies and lots of cheesy goodness. They can be baked or fried based on your personal preference and dietary restrictions.
We like to use egg roll wraps as the crust because it’s thin and always crispy but small flour tortillas work great too! To make the egg rolls even healthier, try adding spinach, carrots or mushrooms.
- To Make and Freeze the Egg rolls
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced (optional)
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced (omit if you prefer milder, less spicy food)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- 3 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg 20 ea egg roll wrappers
- water in a bowl to moisten and seal the egg roll wrappers
- To Cook the Egg Rolls:
- canola peanut or vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- non-stick cooking spray or oil for baking
- To Make Egg Rolls:Heat the vegetable oil in heavy-duty pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and garlic cloves along with a pinch of salt and stir to combine. Cook over medium high heat for about 2 minutes, or until the peppers and onions are crisp tender. Remove pan from heat and cool for 2-3 minutes then add the cooked chicken, beans, corn, shredded cheese, cilantro, chili power, cumin and salt & pepper. Gently mix until mixture is fully combined.
Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Have a small bowl of water ready for moistening your fingers. Lay one egg roll wrapper out on a clean work surface and moisten the edges with your finger. Scoop 1/4 cup of the filling into the center of the wrapper; fold ends of the wrapper or tortilla then roll tightly to form an egg roll shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all of the filling has been used.
- To Freeze egg Rolls: Cover the sheet pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until the egg rolls are frozen through, about 4 hours. Transfer the frozen egg rolls into a resealable zipper-type freezer bag. Keep frozen for up to 6 months, using them as needed.
- To Bake: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place egg rolls on a baking sheet and spray the desired number of egg rolls all over nonstick cooking spray or brush with oil. Bake for 12-15 minutes (20 minutes for frozen egg rolls), flipping once until the egg rolls are golden and cooked through. Cool for 3- minutes before serving.
- To Deep Fry:Heat about 2-inches of canola or vegetable oil in a heavy-duty pan until the oil is shimmery. Carefully place the desired number of egg rolls into the hot oil. Fry the egg rolls for 3-4 (5-6 minutes for frozen egg rolls) minutes or until golden. Transfer to a paper towel line plate and cool for 5 minutes before serving.