Crispy & Sticky Sweet and Sour chicken made healthier and easier by baking in the oven. This simple sweet & sour baked chicken is 1000x better than take-out and makes a tasty quick weeknight meal!
Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken
When trying new recipes to see what your family will enjoy, this Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken is worth preparing. It is a homemade, healthy meal consisting of chicken with a sweet and sour sauce that tastes similar to what you would get from some takeout restaurants. If you are looking for new, flavorful ways to prepare chicken, you do not want to miss out on making this meal.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken
Set your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish while you wait for the oven to get hot.
Place your chicken pieces into a bowl and sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Coat your chicken with cornstarch, dip into the egg mixture, and then heat the chicken pieces in a pan full of oil on the stove.
Cook the chicken until they become brown, which will take about four minutes.
In the meantime, make your sauce by combining soy sauce with brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, salt, and red chili flakes.
Put your chicken in the baking dish, pour the sauce on top, and bake for up to 50 minutes. Check your chicken every 15 minutes.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
If you do not have chicken breasts, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You would need to chop the thighs into chunks before coating them in egg and cornstarch.
Can I Use Liquid Aminos Instead of Soy Sauce?
Liquid aminos taste a lot like soy sauce, so you can use them in this recipe. You may prefer liquid aminos or only have them available. You will still get that much-needed tang from the aminos.
What to Serve with the Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken
The Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken tastes great when served with rice. You can serve it with a side of white rice, fried rice, brown rice, or even cauliflower rice.
If you do not like rice, you can prepare it with a side of roasted, seasoned potatoes. The chicken will also taste good with fresh baked or steamed veggies, such as carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower.
Can I Save the Leftovers?
You can save your leftover baked chicken. Simply remove it from the baking dish and pour it into a food storage container, sealing it with a lid.
When you would like to reheat your leftovers, you can do so in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove for several minutes.
The chicken will still taste just as fresh and good, but make sure to eat the leftovers within three days of storing them in the fridge.
How Many Servings Does It Make?
This Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken recipe provides you with enough food for four people. Do not hesitate to double or triple the recipe when serving a large family or guests.
Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp green onions, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9 X 13 baking dish and keep it ready.
- In a bowl with chicken pieces season it with salt and pepper.
- Coat the seasoned chicken pieces with cornstarch first and then dip it into the beaten egg mixture. Repeat the same with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat a pan with oil, add the coated chicken pieces and cook the chicken until browned for 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a medium bowl and combine sugar, ketchup, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, red chili flakes, and salt. Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish and pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and bake for 40 – 50 minutes.
- Every 15 minutes stir in the chicken and sauce and bake until the sauce is thickened and well coated in the chicken.
- Serve the chicken warm along with rice and green onions on top.