Every time I make a mexican recipe my family seems to go nuts for it. We love Mexican food and we also just love tater tots. They are always good no matter how I make them.
Today I decided to marry the two. I wanted to make enchiladas but really wanted to spice them up a bit so that we can have something different for dinner. Instead of the tortillas I used tater tots and boy was this bake good!
Making this casserole is very fun and easy. For the bottom layer I sauteed the beef and then added the enchilada sauce. I didn’t cook the beef all the way through because it will still bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
I then poured the beef enchilada mixture into the casserole dish and lined the tater tots on top and then topped it with a Mexican cheese blend. Then pop it in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes. I garnished it with olives and scallions but they are not mandatory.
Then once it’s nice and bubbly and melted-cheesy, pull it out. Top with some green onions or cilantro for extra color.
Tater Tot Enchilada Bake
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pack taco or fajita seasoning, about 2 teaspoons
- 2 cups tater tots, enough to cover dish
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, or mozzarella
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Scallions or cilantro to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add diced onions and garlic to skillet. Cook until just tender. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Add beef to skillet and cook until completely browned, add 1/2 pack of taco seasoning and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain away any drippings. Add onions and garlic back to beef and stir to combine. Pour the can of enchilada sauce into the beef and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the enchilada mixture from the skillet into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Scatter the tater tots on top. sprinkle the cheese and top with black olives.Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and tater tots are golden brown. Garnish with scallions or cilantro for added color. Serve warm while the cheese is gooey!