Healthy, low-carb spiralized sweet potato and chicken is spicy and flavorful made with fresh tomatoes, onions and jalapenos. Yay to low-carb healthy weight-loss meals!
I recently purchased a vegetable Spiralizer from amazon and have had so much spiralizing just about everything in sight. I’ve used it for potatoes, apples, zucchini, carrots, peppers and even cabbage. I’ve also made a few low-carb meals with it and all I can say is how much I am in love with it ????
Just a small warning to you all… I’ll be using it a lot more in the near future, so expect to see like one billion spiralized recipes on the blog in 2016! okay maybe I’ve over exaggerating but I hope that I’ll keep using it to incorporating healthy veggies in our meals ????
Also, If you scroll down you will notice there is a nutrition label after the recipe. This is my first post with a nutrition label and I plan to add the nutrition to more of the recipes. It shows the calories, carbs, fat, sodium, and cholesterol per serving. As you can see below this delicious sweet potato casserole is only 383 calories and 28 grams of carbs per serving!
So let’s start off the spiralizing (if that’s even a word ????) with this delicious spicy Mexican sweet potato and chicken casserole. It’s packed full of flavor from sautéed onions, garlic, tomatoes, jalapeno, and earthy spices. Preparing this yummy sauce does require a few extra steps but it’s totally worth it because it’s out of this world! It would actually make a great base for any Mexican casserole. After the sauce is made it’s mixed with shredded chicken and black beans.Then poured on-top of the spiralized sweet potatoes. Topped with cheese and baked to perfection!
I hope you guys enjoy this delicious low-carb casserole as much as we did! ???? Also, please comment below and let me know if you are interested in seeing more spiralzied veggies recipes. Thanks as always!
Tex-Mex Spiralized Sweet Potato & Chicken Casserole (Healthy, Low-Carb)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2-3 small tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 jalapeno, cut in 4th (Serrano or chipotle peppers can be used for extra spice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning, optional
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese, cheddar or pepperjack can also be used
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spiralize sweet potatoes with the smallest noodle blade using your spiralizer ( this can also be done with a cheese grater); place sweet potatoes in a 9x13 casserole dish. This would also be a good time to prepare shredded chicken breast to cook if you don't already have cooked chicken on hand.
- Cook Spicy Salsa: Heat a medium heavy-duty pan to high heat. Add oil, onions and whole garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are charred. Add tomatoes, jalapeno, and spices. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft. Transfer mixture to a blender (do not use food processor like I did) or use an immersion blender. Blend the mixture until it's chunky.
- Assemble: In a large bowl combine the salsa, shredded chicken, and black beans. Mix until fully combined. Pour mixture on the spiralized sweet potatoes and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake: bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cheese if fully melted and the sweet potato is soft to the touch. Serve Warm. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.