Who’s up for a warm slice of lasagna?! Ever since I can remember I’ve always been in love with lasagna. I don’t know if it’s all the comforting layers or the stretchy mozzarella but I simply can’t resist it.
Lasagna is great winter comfort food and it feeds a lot of people. Over the past few years I’ve been working on perfecting my original ground beef lasagna recipe and now I think I’m done! It’s o officially THE BEST EVER LASAGNA!! I’ve made this recipe for family, friends and even made a batch for my daughter’s school a few weeks ago and everyone asked me for the recipe.
This recipe is very versatile and can be adapted in many ways. I used a mixture of ground beef and italian sausage but I’ve also used only ground beef in the past and it still tasted delicious. Also, my family prefers ricotta but you can also substitute it with cottage cheese and I promise it will still taste as good. I usually make this lasagna a day ahead in order for the flavors to “marinate” in the fridge then let it sit at room temperature for about and hour before baking. If you have any more tips and tricks you would like to share with everyone please feel free to leave a comment below!
One more thing… if possible, PLEASEEEE use FRESH basil. It really makes a HUGE difference!
Tip: If you’re making this lasagna a day ahead there is no need to boil the noodles. Just soak them in hot water for 25-30 minutes then layer as you usually would and refrigerate for at least 12 hours b3fore baking. The noodles won’t be cooked but will be soft enough to layer and will continue cooking in the oven.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup FRESH chopped basil
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese or 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
- 12 -16 lasagna noodles
- To make the meat sauce: In a large pot or dutch oven, cook the ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, garlic and salt on medium/high heat until browned. Add the parsley flakes, dried oregano, 2 cans tomatoes, tomato paste, and fresh basil. Simmer 1 hour.
- To prepare noodles: While the sauce is simmer go ahead and prepare the noodles. If you are making this lasagna ahead of time soak the noodles in hot water for about 30 minutes or until soft. If you are making the lasagna instantly, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
Hey Rob, I forgot to include the temp! Thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the recipe. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble: Spray a 13 x 9" baking pan with cooking spray. Combine ricotta cheese, eggs, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley, and Parmesan cheese. In a lasagna pan, place a tablespoon of sauce on the bottom of the pan then layer noodles, meat sauce, cheese mixture, and mozzarella slices (or shredded mozzarella); repeat. Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminum.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes covered with foil. After 25 minutes remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted.. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.