Spring officially started here in Philly! Well not officially, but it finally hit the 60’s this week and we are hyped. For the first time in four months we can finally step outside without our heavy coats and winter gear. It’s pretty amazing.
For all my west coast readers, I’m not sure you realize how beautiful you have it back there! Back in February I had friends in California who were having barbecues in 70 degree weather while we were stuck under piles of snow over here.
Anyway, enough talk about the weather and let’s get started with this salad shall we?! I had to make me a nice healthy fat burning salad this week. I really needed something to help me soak all the good weather in (I promise last time!).
This salad is super healthy and also helps you burn fat thanks to the almighty kale and lemon olive oil dressing.
The really nice thing about kale in salads is that it doesn’t get soft and soggy officially Romain lettuce. It will stay crispy in the fridge for up to 2 days, and that’s with the dressing already soaking in it.
Making this salad is very easy, just chop up everything and toss it all together with your lemon olive oil dressing which is just a combination of 2 part olive olive and 1 part fresh lemon juice (you can also use vinegar or lime juice). You can also add chickpeas, olives, or bell peppers to the mix.
I suggest marinating the salad in the dressing and letting it soak for at least 30 minutes, this will allow the kale to soften slightly and lessen some if its bitterness.
Greek Kale Salad with lemon Olive Oil Dressing
- GREEK SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 large bunch (about 10 ounces or 3-4 cups) kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, seeded and diced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- LEMON DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the dressing:In a small to medium mixing bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- To make the salad:Combine all the chopped ingredients in a large bowl, pour dressing over salad and mix. Sprinkle with extra feta cheese before serving.
- Prepared and dressed salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours.