Spicy, smokey, flavorful fajita chicken with caramelized bell peppers and onions. Add some fresh avocado, sour-cream, lime and cilantro and don’t forget the cheese. Place this mouth-watering mixture in a flour tortilla and pan sear just until the outside is crisp and the inside is gooey and melted. Who can say no to these quesadillas?!
I’ve been making this exact quesadilla recipe for years and we just can ‘t get enough of it. This recipe is a jazzed version of my famous chicken and avocado burritos. Don’t let the bold flavors intimated you though because these quesadillas are pretty easy to make and can be made ahead of time. They can also be frozen for meal prep. After cooking them, they can be stored in ziplock bags in the freezer or fridge.
To make the mixture, cook chicken breasts, bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes in fajita spices. Then to make the quesadillas, fill a tortilla with cheese, sour-cream, avocado and some of the chicken mixture, fold and pan sear until crispy. Enjoy these warm quesadillas with guacamole, salsa, or sour-cream!
Chicken Avocado Quesadillas
- For the chicken:
- 2 medium chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 cup bell peppers, any color, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons fajita or taco seasoning
- For the quesadillas:
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, seeded, and cut
- 4 teaspoons low-fat tablespoons sour-cream
- ½ cup low-fat cup mozzarella, mexican blend, or cheddar cheese
- fresh lime juice and minced cilantro (optional)
- Heat a large heavy duty pan to high heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan. Add chicken breasts and cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until coked through. Remove from pan and set aside to rest.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the diced onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the tomatoes and fajita seasoning. Cook for 2 minutes or until tomatoes are softened. Dice the cooked chicken and return to the pan. Stir until mixture if fully combined.
- To assemble:Add 1 teaspoon oil to a hot pan. Lay 2 tortillas on pan. Spread 1 teaspoon sour-cream over one side of each tortilla, top with cheese, avocado, chicken mixture and squeeze of lime and sprinkle of minced cilantro. Fold the tortillas over to cover the fillings and form a half-moon shape. Cook until the tortillas are crisp and golden and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat to make 2 more quesadillas.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges. Serve with lime wedges, sour-cream, salsa or guacamole and enjoy immediately.