Healthy banana muffins made with whole wheat flour, honey, and coconut oil. They are sugar, and butter free and are super moist and delicious!
Healthy banana muffins. If you’ve tried my healthy banana bread then you’re going to enjoy these healthy banana muffins even more. They’re all my kids ask for and I don’t happy making them because they’re super healthy butter and sugar-free!
The secret to making these delicious muffins is to use extra ripe bananas. The darker the better. The riper the bananas are the sweeter they’ll be and will make the muffins moist and naturally sweet. If your bananas are not yet brown or soft then you can place them in a 300F degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until dark brown. This will ripen them in minutes and make them perfect for baking.
Another important step to making these healthy muffins is to replace the sugar with honey and the butter with olive, coconut, or avocado oil. If you want to go the extra step and treat yourself, add in 1/2 cup of your favorite add-in to the batter. Nuts or chocolate are a great addition. I like to use dark chocolate chunks because dark chocolate is healthy and tastes delicious with banana.
For the flour, I use white whole wheat flour. White whole wheat flour is just as nutritious as whole wheat flour, it bakes better and tastes more like the regular all-purpose flour. Now, you may be asking yourself if you can replace the white whole wheat flour with regular whole wheat flour and the answer is no. Both white and regular whole wheat flours are 100% whole grains but the difference is the type of wheat.
The Difference Between Whole-Wheat and White Whole-Wheat Flour
- Whole-wheat flour is made with red wheat, which is darker in color. It has a slightly bitter taste and a coarser texture.
- White whole-wheat flour which lacks bran color. It also has a milder flavor and softer texture.
Healthy Moist Banana Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour or plain all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 2-3 medium bananas
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or nuts optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, honey, milk and vanilla for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the bananas, flour mixture and chocolate chips (or any other add-ins of choice.
- Pour batter into muffin pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!