Healthy banana muffins are made with nutritious ingredients and are sugar & butter-free too! They’re moist, tender, fluffy, and lightly sweetened and make a perfect snack or grab-and-go breakfast.
If you’ve tried my healthy banana bread, then you’re going to enjoy these healthy banana muffins even more. They’re all my kids ask for and I’m happy to make them because they’re super healthy and are butter & sugar-free!
These delicious healthy muffins are moist, tender, fluffy, and lightly sweet. They’re perfect for a snack or grab-and-go breakfast and they’re freezer-friendly, too. My kids love them as a lunchbox treat, which is a huge plus!
How To Make Healthy Banana Muffins
To make healthy banana muffins, Whisk together your dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt). In another bowl whisk together your wet ingredients (eggs, coconut oil, honey or maple syrup, milk and vanilla, bananas).
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and add chocolate chips or nuts if desired. To keep these muffins healthy, use dark chocolate chips.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick insert comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and be sure to cool for at least 5-10 minutes before enjoying!
Why these Banana Muffins are Healthy
To make these delicious banana muffins, I’ve experimented with many ingredients over the years and this is my all-time favorite combo of healthy and delicious!
The first and most important ingredient is bananas which act as a natural sweetener. The secret to making these delicious muffins is to use extra-ripe bananas. The darker the better. The riper the bananas are, the sweeter they’ll be and that will make the muffins moist and naturally sweet.
Pro Tip: If your bananas are not yet brown or soft then you can place them in a 300F degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until dark brown. This will ripen them in minutes and make them perfect for baking.
Another important step to making these healthy muffins is to replace the sugar with honey or pure maple syrup.
For the butter, that is replaced with olive, coconut, or avocado oil. Coconut or avocado oil is my personal favorite here but feel free to experiment with other oils or even applesauce!
If you want to go the extra step and treat yourself, add in 1/2 cup of your favorite add-in to the batter. Nuts or chocolate are a great addition. I like to use dark chocolate chunks because dark chocolate is healthy and tastes delicious with bananas.
For the flour, I use white whole wheat flour. White whole wheat flour is just as nutritious as whole wheat flour, it bakes better and tastes more like the regular all-purpose flour. Now, you may be asking yourself if you can replace the white whole wheat flour with regular whole wheat flour and the answer is no. Both white and regular whole wheat flours are 100% whole grains but the difference is the type of wheat.
The Difference Between Whole-Wheat and White Whole-Wheat Flour
- Whole-wheat flour is made with red wheat, which is darker in color. It has a slightly bitter taste and a coarser texture.
- White whole-wheat flour which lacks bran color. It also has a milder flavor and a softer texture.
How to Freeze Banana Muffins
I like to make a double batch of these delicious healthy banana muffins and enjoy one or two right away. Then, I freeze the extras. They’ll keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. To thaw one, just pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and you are done!
More Delicious Healthy Muffins
- Healthy Peanut Butter Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Muffins
- Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Banana Oat Muffins
Best Healthy Banana Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour , or plain all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 2-3 medium bananas
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or nuts , optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, honey, milk and vanilla for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the bananas, flour mixture and chocolate chips (or any other add-ins of choice.
- Pour batter into muffin pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.