Learn how to make the BEST roasted chicken in the air fryer. This healthy air fryer whole roast chicken is plump, juicy, and full of flavor that the entire family will enjoy. Cooking the chicken in the air fryer gives you succulent, tender meat and perfectly crispy skin every time.
This simple whole roasted chicken is wonderful for a weeknight meal. It takes an hour to cook, but it goes fast, and you can work on other projects while it’s cooking. The only hard part is smelling the aroma that fills your home makes you really hungry!
Air Fryer roasted chicken is a great comfort food recipe too. It tastes amazing with some vegetables or even a fresh garden salad. On occasion, I will chop it up and add it to enchiladas, a wrap, or even to my salad. This is such a versatile recipe, and the flavor goes with just about anything.
If you eat a low carb diet, you will be glad to know that this is also a low carb recipe too! Because it only calls for healthy ingredients, it will fit into many diets and lifestyles with no worry or guilt.
TO MAKE AIR FRYER WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN YOU WILL NEED
- Whole Chicken: I look for a whole chicken that is 3-4 pounds because that will give us around 6 servings. So, if you don’t eat the entire thing, you will have plenty of leftovers for other meals too. Just be sure the chicken is small enough to fit into your air fryer!
- Olive Oil: The purpose of the olive oil is to help the seasoning stick to the chicken. Additionally, it gives the skin a crispy and beautiful golden color.
- Seasonings: For seasonings, I simply use salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. You can add in additional seasonings if you want to try out some different combinations.
HOW TO COOK WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN
The air fryer does most of the work for you to make this a painless dinner option that tastes scrumptious! Mix together the oil and seasonings in a bowl and rub the chicken with the mixture. Make sure to cover it well, so the flavor gets in every bit of the chicken.
Cook the whole chicken for approximately 30 minutes, and then you’ll need to flip it over and cook for another 30 minutes. When you think the chicken is done, check the temperature to make sure that it’s 165 degrees. You never want to overcook it, or it won’t be as succulent.
Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before you serve it. Don’t be afraid to use the juice in the bottom of the air fryer. It makes a delicious gravy or sauce.
CAN I COOK A FROZEN WHOLE CHICKEN IN THE AIR FRYER?
No, it’s not a good idea to cook the whole chicken from a frozen state when putting it in the air fryer. It’s best to place the chicken in the refrigerator overnight until it’s thawed out. Using a thawed chicken will give you wonderful results, and you’ll be glad that you did.
If you are cooking several pieces of chicken like breasts, thighs, or legs, they can be cooked in the air fryer when they are frozen. Because they are much smaller than an entire chicken, they are more likely to cook evening.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT KIND OF OIL FOR THE CHICKEN?
Yes, you can use a variety of oils for the air fryer chicken. I prefer the flavor and texture that the olive oil provides, but you can certainly try some others to see what you like.
Avocado oil, coconut, and grapeseed are popular choices when it comes to the air fryer. The purpose of the oil is really just to help the seasonings stick and for the texture of the skin. So it’s no big deal to try out different oils.
Air Fryer Whole Roast Chicken (Juicy and Tender!)
- Pre-heat air fryer to 350F.
- While the air fryer is preheating, combine the oil and seasoning in a small bowl. Rub chicken with the seasoning mix and place in the air fryer breast down.
- Cook for 30 minutes, after 30 minutes flip and cook for another 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is browned and the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Rest the chicken for 10 minutes before carving. The bottom of the air-fryer will collect the juices, feel free to serve on the side or make a gravy!