Tender, moist, and juicy chicken breasts, stuffed with spicy guacamole and wrapped to with bacon.
I’m on an avocado spree this week. I purchased a whole bunch at my local fruit market and waited until they were perfectly ripe. If you’re an avocado addict like I am, then you know there’s no better feeling then opening a perfectly ripe avocado.
Yesterday I shared one of my favorite appetizers, the guacamole stuffed onion ring. Today, the guacamole elevates this humble chicken dish to a new level. Because the chicken is stuffed then wrapped in bacon it stays super moist and tender. I used turkey bacon to wrap the chicken because it’s much healthy and not very greasy.
The results are tender and juicy chicken on the inside and crunchy crispy bacon on the outside. Once you cut in all that yummy guacamole is exposed. This dish is perfect for dinner with the side of veggies or a salad.
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 6-8 strips turkey bacon
- For the guacamole:
- 1 avocado halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 Roma tomato seeded and diced
- ½ jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime juiced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado. Add the tomato, jalapeno,cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir until fully combined. Set aside
- Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Cut each chicken breast horizontally about 1 inch, do not go all the way through to the other side; just enough to make a small pouch in the chicken (see video above).
- Stuff half of the guacamole mixture into each chicken breast. Wrap each breast tightly with 3-4 bacon strips. Heat a large heavy-duty pan on medium/high heat. Place bacon on the pan and sear 2 minutes per side. Place pan in the pre-heated for 15 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Looks delicious!!!! what temperature do I need to pre-heat the oven
I am making today
Yeah….Soooo I cooked for the specified time, even tacked on about 5 minutes extra and another 6 for some broiling to get the bacon to crisp up…still raw in the center. Granted these were beefy chicken breasts but still. There should be a range on cooking times suggested for the recipe, not all of us are seasoned chefs.
I would recommend butterflying the the chicken and Browning the inside a little bit before stuffing it with the guac.
Jess @ What Jessica Baked Next says
This stuffed chicken looks fantastic Layla! I’ve never thought of stuffing chicken with guacamole – such a genius idea! 🙂 Pinning to try soon!
Thanks so much Jessica! It’s a really easy meal and tastes delicious.
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I could eat avocados just about every day, I love them so much! This stuffed chicken looks amazing! Such a great idea to wrap it in bacon, too. Wish I had this for dinner tonight!
Me too! Thanks Gayle 😀