Life-Changing Creamy broccoli Mac & Cheese made from scratch in under 30 minutes. Adding broccoli to this kid-friendly dish is a great way to get your little ones to eat more broccoli!
Are your children fans of macaroni and cheese? You might make it from scratch quite often but are looking for ways to switch things up by trying new recipes. If so, you will enjoy the taste of this Broccoli Mac and Cheese recipe, and your children will enjoy it just as much as you do.
It is a simple recipe that takes less than 20 minutes to complete. You will only need a few crucial ingredients to make this cheesy and wholesome dish that your children will continue to request from you for years to come!
What You’ll Need to Make the Broccoli Mac and Cheese
You will need several important ingredients to make this tasty Broccoli Mac and Cheese, such as:
- Elbow Macaroni. The elbow macaroni is a classic choice of pasta to use.
- Broccoli. Chop your broccoli florets into small pieces. If your children are picky eaters, having smaller pieces is ideal because it is easier to conceal the broccoli with all the pasta and cheese.
- Unsalted Butter. The butter will give your macaroni and cheese more flavor.
- Dry Mustard Powder. Use dry mustard powder to add a slight tang to the macaroni and cheese.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Add plenty of sharp cheddar cheese to your macaroni to create the creamiest, cheesiest dish.
You should also have all-purpose flour, half-and-half, whole milk, garlic powder, ground black pepper, paprika, and salt when you want to make the Broccoli Mac and Cheese. These additional ingredients will help create a cheesy consistency while adding more flavor with the perfect amount of seasoning.
How to Make Broccoli Mac and Cheese
Making Broccoli Mac and Cheese is a lot easier than you might think. You can start by boiling water and adding your macaroni to the boiling water. While your macaroni is cooking, you will steam your broccoli florets and put them off to the side.
Use the same pan to create a roux using melted butter and flour. While you have your flour and butter in the pan, add your half-and-half and whole milk, using a whisk to mix the ingredients. Continue cooking for about five minutes.
Add your spices, mix well, and then begin adding your cheese.
When your cheese starts melting, you may then toss in your chopped broccoli, mix again, and then add your macaroni.
Make sure your cheese sauce covers all the pasta. It is then ready to serve.
How to Store the Broccoli Mac and Cheese
Place your Broccoli Mac and Cheese in a food storage container. You can keep it in the fridge for up to five days, reheating it on the stovetop or in a microwave when you want to eat it again.
To Freeze: If you want to store it in the freezer to keep it even longer, it will stay fresh for up to two months. You can store it a bit longer than two months, but to preserve its freshness and great flavor, it is better to eat it within two months of freezing it.
Creamy Broccoli Mac & Cheese
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and cook the macaroni in salted boiling water according to the package instruction (little less than 1 minute). Once the pasta is cooked drain the water and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, steam the broccoli florets for 5 minutes and set aside.
- In the same pan add the butter, once the butter is melted add in the flour. Cook for a minute.
- Keep the stove on a medium-low flame and add in the whole milk and half and half milk slowly. Whisk continuously to avoid any lump formation. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce turns smooth and thick enough to coat the back of the spatula.
- Add the spices; mustard powder, garlic powder, black paper, paprika, and salt. Mix it well.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese into the sauce. Once the cheese has completely melted, add the cooked pasta and broccoli florets to it. Mix it until the sauce has coated evenly.
- Transfer the broccoli mac and cheese to a bowl and serve hot.