If you love Indian food then you’re going to fall in love with this delicious 30-minute creamy chicken curry. It’s cooked in a mild masala sauce and pairs perfectly with rice or naan for a quick and tasty weeknight meal.
In case you haven’t heard, Indian food is amazing! The jam-packed flavors, the spices, bread, and oh, of course.. the all-time classic, chicken curry. It’s a super hearty and tangy dish filled with a huge amount of flavor. Like, tons of flavor!
Obviously, everyone wants to try exotic flavors at some point in their life; it may take some of us longer than others, but at some point in our lives we wake up and say ” Hey I’m going to have Indian food today”.
When we lived in Brooklyn, there were Indian restaurants all over. If you were walking down 5th ave there’s no way you can walk by an Indian restaurant without stopping to either inhale the amazing aroma or peek through the window and see what all the fuss is about.
Today I’m going to show you how to make this authentic chicken curry at home in under 30 minutes. I promise the result is amazing and much better than any restaurant dish out there!
How to Make Chicken Curry
If this is your first time making Indian food don’t worry. This recipe is super easy and does not require a bunch of steps. All you will need is a few basic ingredients and about 30 minutes of time.
To get started, simply toast the whole spices in a very hot pan. This will release the natural aromas of the spices and take the curry to the next level.
Next, add in the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until tender. Lastly, add in the tomato sauce.
Next, stir in the spices along with a cup of water and allow to simmer before adding in the chicken.
Lastly, once the curry has thickened and the chicken is. cooked through. Stir in the yogurt. This can be easily replaced by heavy cream if desired.
The result is a flavor-packed curry with a slightly creamy base that is out of this world. Serve it with some basmati rice or naan bread and enjoy this dish any night of the week!
More Delicious Indian Dishes to try
30 Minute Chicken Curry
- 1 lb chicken breast pieces, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1- inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 ½ cup canned tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or paprika
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, to garnish
- cooked basmati rice or naan for serving
- Heat a wok or skillet on a medium flame with oil. Add in the whole spices; bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, and cumin seeds.
- After a minute add the onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook until the onions turn golden. Add the tomato puree and cook for 6-8 minutes until the puree is completely cooked.
- Add the spices; turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, curry powder, and salt. Mix it and add a cup of water.
- Once the curry starts rolling boil add the chicken pieces. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- The curry sauce will start to thicken, once the chicken has cooked through add the yogurt and cook for 3-5 minutes until the oil separates from the skillet.
- Before turning off add the garam masala and cilantro. Serve the chicken curry over the basmati rice and naan.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.