Chicken and mushrooms cooked in a creamy garlic parmesan herb cream sauce in one pan in under 30 minutes. This low-carb and keto friendly dish is packed with flavor and makes a delicious dinner on a salad, pasta or rice!
Creamy chicken has become my ultimate weeknight dinner served over rice, pasta, a side of or a side of veggies when I’m doing low-carb. It’s made all in one pan in under 30 minutes for quick prep and clean-up!
This creamy sauce is EVERYTHING you want in a cream sauce and more. I’ve been perfecting it over the past several months and this is it. It’s loaded with lots of freshly minced garlic, parmesan, herbs, and cream. Today’s sauce features mushroom and they are the star of the dish. The mushrooms in the sauce were so delicious I had them alone by the spoonfuls! (hint: vegetarian dinner idea!)
To Make Creamy Mushroom chicken you will need:
Chicken Breasts: This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts but thinly pounded boneless, skinless chicken thighs will also work. The chicken breasts are cut in half horizontally to help the chicken cook fast and make thinner fillets.
Mushrooms: This recipe will work with just about any type of mushrooms. Sliced White, Crimini, or baby Bella mushrooms are preferred.
Onion: Finely minced onion or shallots. The recipe can do without the onions but why not? They add a nice caramelized flavor to the cream sauce.
Garlic: Lots of fresh minced or crush garlic. The recipe calls for 3-4 but I went ahead and used 5 because I’m hooked on garlic.
Heavy Cream: Aka double cream or heavy whipping cream. The recipe will also work with half & half, light cream or evaporated milk.
Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese is optional but highly recommended. You can also use pre-grated parmesan.
Herbs: A few tablespoons of fresh herbs really do take this dish to the next level. You can use parsley, chives, rosemary, dill, cilantro, or leave out the herbs all together if you don’t have any on hand.
After you’ve gathered all your ingredients it’s time to get cooking! The good news is that the hard part is behind you and all that’s left is for you to cook everything and do your magic! The chicken, mushrooms, onion, garlic and everything else is cooked in one pan for easy clean-up.
Serve on al dente pasta, on rice, a dressed arugula salad, steamed vegetables, with zoodles, or freshly toasted garlic bread.
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
For the Chicken
- Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to make them thinner. Season both sides of chicken breasts with garlic powder, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat butter and oil in over medium-high heat in a large heavy duty pan or cast iron skillet. Add chicken breasts to the pan and cook 5-6 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and a pinch of salt & pepper; saute for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to low and Add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and herbs. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Return chicken along with its juices to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Serve with pasta, rice, salad, or veggies.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
More Creamy Chicken Recipes: