Creamy Tuna Broccoli Casserole is pure comfort food! This low carb/keto-friendly dish is filled with tuna, fresh broccoli, and a creamy cheese sauce that is out of this world! It’s so delicious and comes together in 30 minutes!
This isn’t your typical tuna casserole recipe that is loaded with pasta and tons of carbs. But don’t worry, it’s a much healthier version of classic tuna casserole minus the guilt. The flavors are still rich and creamy, and you will feel satisfied and comforted with each bite.
One thing that I really love about this tuna casserole (besides how delicious it is) is that you can use canned tuna. I pretty much always have several cans of tuna on hand because it is so versatile and goes with many recipes. Not only do I typically have tuna on hand, I usually have all the rest of the ingredients too. So I don’t have to plan far in advance and make unnecessary trips to the market. I can just whip it up and dig in.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE TUNA BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- Tuna: You just need a couple of cans of tuna, and you will have the base for this delicious casserole. Go for tuna packed in water because you are adding your own healthy fats to the tuna casserole.
- Broccoli: You can use the stems and florets, or if you’d rather just use florets that’s more than fine too. Both are great and it just depends on your preference.
- Cream cheese: Opt for full-fat cream cheese to get healthy fat, and the easy tuna casserole will be the creamiest.
- Heavy cream: Don’t skip the heavy cream, that’s what makes it so rich and scrumptious.
- Unsalted butter: If you had to use salted butter, you could, but make sure not to add the extra salt, or it will be way too salty to enjoy.
- Cheddar cheese: Shredded cheddar is my go-to cheese for this healthy tuna casserole, but gruyere is also a lovely option.
- Garlic: Yum, I love adding a little bit of minced or crushed garlic to this recipe. It takes it to the next level and is just so good.
- Italian seasoning: You don’t need a ton of seasoning, but a little bit adds some extra flavor that is fantastic.
- Salt and pepper: Just add a little bit of each to your taste, and it will be perfect.
- Mozzarella: Nothing finishes this tuna broccoli casserole like adding some shredded mozzarella to the top.
HOW TO MAKE TUNA BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
I love casseroles for many reasons, but my number one reason is that you can throw some ingredients together and end up with a tasty meal. It’s so easy!
To get started, you’ll need to preheat the oven, then chop up the broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Place the broccoli in a baking dish and add in the tuna.
Mix together the cream cheese, heavy cream, and butter in a saucepan. Whisk until melted and everything is well combined. Add in the cheddar cheese, garlic, seasonings, and stir.
Slowly pour the cheese mixture on top of the broccoli and tuna. Sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes. It will be golden and bubbly when it’s done.
HOW LONG DOES TUNA BROCCOLI CASSEROLE LAST?
When the tuna casserole is done, allow it to cool down and place it in the fridge in an airtight container. It will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator. This tuna casserole doesn’t really freeze well due to the heavy cream and cream cheese. They don’t thaw without breaking up, so I recommend just refrigerating.
You can heat up the tuna broccoli casserole in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate for 1-2 minutes or until hot. Or if you’d rather, you could heat the oven to 325 degrees and warm the casserole for 10-15 minutes or until hot all the way through.
More Delicious Tuna Recipes To Try!
Creamy Tuna Broccoli Casserole (Keto friendly)
- 2 (4.5 oz) cans tuna
- 1 pound broccoli (or 16 oz florets)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or gruyere or melting cheese of choice)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Chop the broccoli into small bite-sized florets and transfer to a 9×9 (or similar) baking dish. Add the tuna and stir to combine; Set aside.
- Add the cream cheese, cream, and butter to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; whisk until melted and fully combined. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour cheese mixture onto the broccoli and tuna mixture and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.