Hearty chicken tortilla soup made all in one pot in under 30 minutes! This healthy filling soup is one of our family favorites and is a must try this winter. Garnish with tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, sour-cream and cheese or your favorite soup toppings!
The only soup I ever order at restaurants is the chicken tortilla soup. It’s usually not cooked the way I like it so I’ve opted in for this easy homemade version instead. It tastes 100x better home for a fraction of the price!
This flavorful soup is loaded with beans, corn, tomatoes and chicken and comes together in under 30 minutes. To serve, garnish with your favorite tortilla chips or corn tortillas cut into strips, avocado, cilantro, cheese and sour-cream.Make this yummy soup using chicken thighs or breasts. Salt and pepper the breasts and place in a very hot pot or dutch oven coated with lots of olive oil. Brown the chicken then remove it and set aside. Add the onion, bell pepper. jalapeno, and garlic and saute until they are golden and have released their flavors. Next, simply add the tomatoes, beans, corn, spices, tomato paste and chicken stock. Return the chicken and simmer the mixture for about 20-25 minute or until chicken if fully cooked. Remove the chicken, shredded it and return to soup.
Now all that’s left is to serve this delicious soup topped with your favorite Tex-Mex toppings! We hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did!
Easy One Pot Chicken Tortilla SoupPrint Rate
- 1 lb chicken thighs or breasts boneless, skinless
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno de-seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups tomatoes diced (canned or fresh)
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn canned or fresh
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- To Garnish:
- diced avocado
- tortilla chips
- cheddar cheese
- Fresh lime Juice
- Heat a large heavy-duty pot or dutch oven to medium high heat. add olive. Salt and pepper chicken and add to pot. Cook until browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic to the same pot. Stir until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, black beans, corn, spices, and tomato paste. Saute for 2-3 minutes. add the stock, return chicken to pot and cover. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minute or until chicken is cooked through. br]
- Remove chicken from pot and shred or chop into small pieces. Return to the pot and stir to combine. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime onto soup. Add in chopped cilantro. Stir to combine. Turn off heat.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with tortilla chips or strip, garnish with avocado, sour-cream or cheese, more cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime; serve immediately. Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.