Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup made all in one pot in under 30 minutes! This healthy filling soup is one of our family favorites and is a must-try this winter. Garnish with tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, and cheese or your favorite soup toppings!
The only soup I ever order at restaurants is chicken tortilla soup. It’s usually not cooked the way I like it so I’ve opted in for this easy homemade version instead. It tastes 100x better home for a fraction of the price!
This flavorful soup is loaded with beans, corn, tomatoes, and chicken. To serve, garnish with your favorite tortilla chips or corn tortillas cut into strips, avocado, cilantro, cheese, and sour cream.
What you Will Need:
To make this delicious chicken tortilla soup, you will need a few basic ingredients and the rest are pantry staples. Here’s what you will need:
- Chicken Breasts
- Canned Corn
- Canned Black Beans
- Canned Diced Tomato
- Chicken Broth
- Cilantro, Lime, and a few other Pantry staples + toppings of choice
How to Make Tortilla Strips
Tortilla strips make a delicious topping for tortilla soup and add lots of flavor and texture. You can use prepackaged tortilla strips or make your own at home. I like to make them while the soup is cooking but you can go ahead and prep them ahead of time or make them after you’ve finished cooking your soup.
To make homemade tortilla strips, slice corn or flour tortilla strips into thin strips. Next, sautee the strips in a tablespoon of hot oil until golden brown and crunchy. That’s pretty much it!
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Now let’s get started on making the main dish! Making this tortilla soup is as easy as it gets and it’s all made in one pan in just 30 minutes.
To begin, Cook down the onion, garlic, and jalapeno in a few tablespoons of oil over medium-hot heat. Next, add in the spices and cook them down for a few minutes then stir in the canned tomato and chicken broth.
Next, stir in the chicken breasts, canned corn, and black beans. Simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. After 20 minutes remove the chicken from the pot, shred and return to the pot. Stir in some fresh cilantro and spoon into your soup bowls.
Top with your favorite soup toppings. I like to add fresh avocado, a teaspoon of sour cream, freshly squeezed lime, and the tortilla strips. We hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did!
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try
- 30 Minute Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Creamy Taco Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Easy Pumpkin Soup
How Do You Store Leftover Soup?
After the soup has cooled, place it in an airtight container. Be sure not to include any toppings because they will become soggy as the soup chills. Place the soup in the fridge, and it will last 4-5 days.
To Reheat: Reheat the soup in a pot using medium heat. Once it’s hot, you can serve. Add toppings and enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
To make tortilla strips
- 5 small corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
To make soup
- 1 lb chicken breast skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and chopped
- ¾ cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and washed
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- sour-cream, avocado, Lime to serve (optional)
Making the tortilla chips
- Cut the tortillas into thin strips with the help of the knife. Heat a medium skillet with a tablespoon of oil. Add the tortilla strips and saute for 5 minutes until they turn crispy and golden. Season with salt and keep it aside.
To make the soup
- Heat a heavy bottom dutch oven with oil. Add the garlic, jalapenos, and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spices; red chili powder, cumin powder, pepper powder, cayenne pepper, and salt, and saute for a minute. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and allow them to boil.
- Add the chicken breast, corn, and black beans, reduce the heat, and cook on low flame for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the chicken breast and shred them with the help of a fork and return them back to the pot. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish the soup with fresh cilantro and serve it in a bowl topped with sour cream, lime, avocado, tortilla strips and enjoy.
This turned out great except I wanted a taco flavor so I added 2 TBS of taco seasoning.
Sabrina Merchant says
Total hit, we used some hot peppers to give it some heat, and it was awesome! Making this again today!
This was so good and so easy! Hit the spot!
Can this be frozen?
Yes! It can be frozen for up to 2 months!