Low carb and keto-friendly Creamy taco soup is warm and comforting. It’s packed with veggies and topped with fresh avocado and lime juice and is the perfect way to enjoy tacos without the added carbs! Winter is just around the corner and there no better meal then a warm bowl of soup. We’re all about quick and easy one-bowl meals this winter and this taco soup is at the top of the list. It’s made with ground beef, tomatoes, creamy cheese, spices and topped with fresh avocado, tomato, cilantro, cheese, and lime. It’s loaded with mildly spicy & zesty flavors and will keep you coming back for more.
This delicious taco soup comes together in about 30 minutes all in one pot with minimal cleanup or stress. It’s perfect if you are on a low-carb or keto diet because it eliminates the carbs all together and will help you satisfy your taco cravings for good!
WHAT DO YOU PUT IN TACO SOUP?
Taco soup is made with just 8 ingredients which can be found in your fridge or pantry for a quick one-pot meal.
- Ground beef: can sub with lean ground turkey or chicken.
- Onion: can sub with onion flakes or onion powder if desired.
- Garlic: can sub with garlic powder but we highly recommend fresh minced garlic.
- Bell pepper: add lots of flavor to the soup but are optional.
- Rotel: is a canned tomato and green chili mixture and can be subbed with freshly chopped tomato if desired.
- Cream cheese: cream cheese makes the soup creamy and helps raise the fat content for keto dieters. It can be subbed with low-fat cream cheese or heavy cream if desired.
- Taco Seasoning: we highly recommend using our popular homemade taco seasoning recipe.
- Beef Broth: be sure to use low sodium beef broth and so you can adjust to taste. you can also sub with water is desired.
HOW LONG DOES TACO SOUP LAST?
This soup will last up to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It tastes even better the next day!
CAN YOU FREEZE TACO SOUP?
Yes! You can freeze taco soup before adding the cream cheese because the fat int he cream cheese does not freeze well and will break up int he freezer. Instead, add the cream cheese when reheating the soup. Freeze in an air-tight container for up to 6 months.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY TACO SOUP IN THE SLOW COOKER?
Add all the ingredients except the cream cheese to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 hours. Stir in package of cream cheese just before serving.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY TACO SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT?
Sautee beef, onions, and garlic in the instant pot using the sautee function until brown through. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the cream cheese. Manually set the pressure on high for 10 minutes; release naturally. Stir in cream cheese and mix until melted.
IS TACO SOUP KETO-FRIENDLY?
Yes! I’ve especially developed this taco soup to make it super keto-friendly! The fat from the beef and cream cheese along with the fresh avocado make this creamy taco soup a great addition to a keto diet with just 5 grams of carbs per serving!
Creamy Taco Soup (Low Carb/Keto)
- 1 lb ground beef, or turkey or chicken
- 1 tbsp oil, of choice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes, or 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese , OR 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, homemade or 1 packet
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14.5) oz can beef broth, 1.5 cups
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a pot or large pot or dutch oven, brown beef, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes or until the ground beef is browned through.
- Add the bell pepper, Rotel diced tomatoes, cream cheese, and spices. Stir for 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and tender and cream cheese is mixed through.
- Pour in beef broth and reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve in small soup bowls. Top with freshly sliced avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, freshly minced cilantro, jalapeno, and a drizzle of lime.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.