Simple and easy to make oven roasted shawarma chicken is great in sandwiches, rice bowls, or salad.
Shawarma are the Middle Eastern equivalent of burgers and fries. Just about every country in the Mid-East has its own interpretation of these yummy sandwiches but the recipe is pretty much the same. It all starts with flat slices of chicken, beef, or lamb that is stacked on a long rotisserie stick then roasted for hours. The meat is then shaved off with a large knife and each customer gets meat that’s already charred while the inner meat continues to cook. Guys this is what’s considered “fast food” in the Mid-East and is so healthy and delicious. I never had to worry about gaining weight there because most of the food is healthy and natural. After coming back, I still crave shawarma all the time so I make them at home. I’m not going to lie, making shawarma at come is nothing close to the real deal but it’s still pretty damn delicious and makes a wonder healthy easy meal for the entire family. I like to use chicken thighs to make shawarma because chicken thighs stay juicy and tender when roasted. To being, coat the chicken in yogurt, garlic, spices, and oil. Mix to combine then bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is charred on the outside.
Next, simply slice the chicken into thin pieces and serve with my favorite shawarma white sauce. Serve in pita breads or on a salad. Enjoy!
Easy Oven Baked Chicken Shawarma
- 2 lb chicken thighs boneless, skinless (or app. 6-8 pieces)
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced (or 2 small cloves)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- To serve:
- Pita bread
- Shawarma white sauce
- Heat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl or ziplock bag, combine the chicken thighs, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, spices and oil. Mix until fully combined and all the chicken is coated.
- Lay chicken in a large baking dish and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is charred on the outside. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve chicken in pita bread along with shawarma sauce and veggies or on a salad.