Chicken, rice, and broccoli all done in one delicious foil packet for a healthy and flavor-packed dinner! What’s not to love about foil packet dinners? Everything cooked all in a foil and no cleanup… Yes, please!
This chicken, rice, and broccoli foil pack is a complete dinner that’s packed with protein and nutrition. For the greens, I used broccoli but zucchini, green beans, or asparagus will also work! For the rice, I used instant brown rice but white works as well. I’ve also had luck using basmati rice. The trick is to soak it for at least 5-10 minutes. This helps speed up the cooking process and will ensure the rice cooks perfectly in the oven. After soaking the rice, simply divide it into 4 sheets of foil. Add a few tablespoons of the water that the rice was soaking in into the foil as well.
For the chicken, I used small (about 4 oz each) chicken breasts per foil pack but big chicken breasts can work as well. If your chicken breast is too big for 1 serving, cut it in half either horizontally or vertically and use half for each foil pack.
The seasoning is a mixture of chili powder, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper. 1 teaspoon of each is used for each foil pack because the seasoning is for the rice, chicken, and broccoli. Be generous with the seasoning because it’s what gives the chicken breasts this flavorful crust. For the salt, season to taste. I added 1/2 teaspoon per foil pack.
- 4 4 oz chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 2 cups Instant brown or white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 4 teaspoons EACH chili powder Italian seasoning, black pepper,
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with 4 sheets of foil (about 6-8 inches) and set aside.
- Combine the brown rice, and water in a medium bowl and soak for 5 minutes. DIvide rice (and it's water) into 4 sheets of foil.
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer or a rolling pin until they are even. Place the chicken breasts and broccoli florets on the rice. Seasoning each chicken breast generously with 1 teaspoon of chili powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt to taste. Drizzle each packet with olive oil and fold the sides of the foil over the chicken, covering completely; seal the packets closed.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until chicken's internal temperature reaches 165F. Remove from oven and carefully open up the foils. Serve immediately.
*For the Rice, I use the 5 minute rice (brown or white) for this recipe and have not tried it with regular rice. Some readers have had success with half-cooked rice.
*Parchment paper can also be used instead of foil.