Steak, potatoes, and vegetables seasoned with an herb garlic butter and all cooked in a compact foil pack. They can be oven baked or grilled for a tender tasty dinner the entire family will love! Foil packs are a lifesaver when you are grilling outdoors or simply want to make a quick no mess meal at home. I like to make foil pack dinners with chicken, shrimp, and steak. The reason is that the meat, veggies, and rice (if using any) all cook at once in one foil pack so there’s hardly any mess to clean up.
For this foil pack steak recipe, we like to use veggies and potatoes and seasoned them with lots of garlic and butter. The butter and garlic add lots of flavor to the steak and when charred, the garlic is out of this world. To begin, simply chop up all of your favorite veggies. For the potatoes, we like to use the small “fancy” potatoes and cut them up really small because they take the longest to cook.
If you like your steak well done, use raw potatoes and chop them up into small 1” pieces.
If you like your steak medium, chop the potatoes into small 1” pieces and place the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish. Cook in the microwave on high heat for 3-4 minutes or until almost cooked. Add to the steak and veggies and bake or grill.
For the steak, top sirloin, whole eye fillet, ribeye or even cubed beef stew works well. Obviously, the more expensive the cut the more tender the outcome will be.
After you’ve chopped the steak, potatoes, and veggies, Add them to the foil packs and drizzle with a mixture of garlic, thyme, and butter. Wrap tightly and bake or grill for 20 minutes or until the steak is done. To get that nice charred top on the steak, simply place it under the broiler or 1-2 minutes or flip the entire foil pack the last 5 minutes if grilling them.
To make the potatoes cheesy, simply add your favorite melting cheese during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking.
Foil Pack Garlic Steak, Potatoes, and Veggies
- 2 pounds top sirloin steak* Cut into 2'' pecies
- 1 pound Potatoes cut into 1'' peices
- 1 cup zucchini chopped, optional
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped, optional
- 1 cup onion chopped, otpioanl
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley optinal
- salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper)
- In a large bowl combine, potatoes, veggies, melted butter, and seasoning. Divide steak and potatoes between four 12x12 inch sheets of foil, then wrap the foil tightly around the contents to form your foil packs.
- To Grill: grill over high heat for about 10 minutes on each side or until steak and potatoes are cooked. If you prefer a char on your steak, you can open up the packets at the end and cook for a couple minutes directly on the grill, or for baking, you can switch oven to broil for a few minutes (with packets open
- To Bake: Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees, bake foil packs for about 20 minutes until cooked through to the desired doneness.
- To Make Cheesy: Carefully open foil packs during the last 3-5 minutes or cooking, sprinkle the veggies and potatoes with cheese and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese and char the steak.