I love rice bowls because they are usually healthy and packed with different flavors and textures. Plus, everything is in one bowl so you can walk around with it or even sit on the sofa to eat it..
Another great thing about rice bowls is that they are great for making ahead and taking to work or school.
A few months ago I shared my chipotle chicken burrito bowls and they were a HUGE hit. I never expected the recipe to become so popular but over the past year it’s received more than 4 million page views and over a million pinterest pins.
This recipe is very similar to it but with a mediterranean twist!
- For the Rice:
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- For the Chicken:4 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic clove crushed in garlic press or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- For the Hummus:
- 1 cup canned chickpeas drained, liquid reserved
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup tahini sesame paste
- Juice of 1 lemon 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon water or liquid from the chickpeas
- For the Greek Salad:
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce torn into bite-size pieces, washed, and dried
- 2 medium tomatoes cored, seeded, and large dice
- 1 medium English cucumber large dice
- 1 cup kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 medium lemon, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- To make the rice:Wash rice in a large bowl under cold water for 2-5 minutes until the water runs clear. Allow to soak for at least 5 minutes. Boil 3.5 cups of water in a large sauce pan, pour rice and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the water has dried into the rice and the rice is soft. Place 2 tablespoons of butter on the rice to melt with the heat off, Cover and set aside.
- To Make the Chicken:
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, paprika, and oregano in large plastic food storage bag.Pierce chicken with fork several times and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add to bag and coat with dressing, marinate 20 minutes or up to two days in the fridge.Remove chicken from bag. Grill or broil for about 5-6 minutes per side. Or, cook in a grill pan over medium-high heat, 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- To make the hummus: Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Set aside in fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the salad:Place the lettuce in a large bowl and add the tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and onion; set aside. Place the oil, measured lemon juice, oregano, measured salt, and pepper to taste in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the feta and serve.
Absolutely LOVE this recipe! I make enough salad and dressing to last for several days. The chicken is delicious! Rice comes out perfect! (I’ve cheated by buying the hummus, but will eventually try making it since there are so many rave reviews!)
Definitely adding this to this week’s meal planning list.
Question about the quantity of chicken. Is it a total of 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 breasts weighing 1 lb each? The placement of the 4 in the ingredient list is throwing me off.
It’s 1 pound total!
Loved this recipe..looks very tempting
Loved this recipe!. enjoyed with tzatziki instead of humus. it was delicious
Alison McLean says
I think this recipe is delicious. Admittedly I make this as a quick meal and do not cook the chicken or hummus from scratch. I pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery and some Sabra hummus chop the lettuce add some flatbread. Good to go! It’s delicious
poker domino online says
wonderful issues altogether, you simply received
a new reader. What might you recommend about your post that you
just made a few days in the past? Any sure?
Holy monkeyshines! This is the best tasting hummus I’ve ever had! Super flavorful and DELICIOUS.Because it’s made fresh, you can taste the garlic, lemon and toasted sesame seeds distinctly. I made my own homemade tahini from this SITE:
I used a coffee bean grinder to turn the seeds into a flour. Made Tahiti much smoother.
This salad is labor intensive…. But worth every damn step. We’ve been making it about 2x/mo since last year, and every TIME I think I need to tell you thank you for the best salad ever! We add avocado ANd bell peppers and tweak the hummus to appeal to the toddlers in the HOUSE and then serve it with hot garlic naan. It’s always so delicious! Thank you!
Yum, love your alterations! Glad you and the kids enjoy these bowls <3
I honestly never take the time to leave reviews on recipes…. but this was effing delicious. Soooo good,. Strong flavours, lost of good textures, and healthy to boot 🙂 Definitely one of my new staples. Thankyou!
This dish is AMAZING. It’s honestly my husband’s new favorite meal, mine as well. I use a store-bought olive hummus that pairs super well with this (and it cuts the cooking time in half!). I also use a seasoned feta cheese. So glad I came across this recipe. Love it! Thanks!
I’m a cooking disaster making now 🙂