Healthy Homemade Sandwich Bread is a great way to cut out processed ingredients! This simple sandwich bread recipe proves that only six ingredients are needed to make a fluffy and soft loaf of warm bread. Perfect for a quick snack!
Is there anything better than a slice of warm homemade bread? Top it with butter, jam, or cheese, or eat it like it is – because when you make a loaf of homemade bread this good, there’s no wrong way to eat it.
If you’re a fan of baking your own bread from scratch, add this simple DIY bread recipe to your baking radar. It’s easy and turns out perfect every time!
The one fair warning to pass along is that the loaf won’t last long once baked. This isn’t because it doesn’t store well…it’s because it’s just that delicious.
Everyone who has ever eaten homemade bread knows there’s no denying that soft texture. It has the perfect soft middle and outer crust that no one can resist.
What You’ll Need To Make Healthy Sandwich Bread
With this short list of ingredients, there’s no reason not to make it. All that is needed to bake homemade bread is listed below:
Warm water: Warm water is needed for this simple bread recipe because it is what activates the yeast. The warmth of the water is a must for activation. Warm tap water works fine.
Active dry yeast: Active yeast is key for the bread dough to rise and make a fluffy loaf of bread. If you’re unsure if the yeast is still active, check out the tip below on how to check if the yeast is still good to use.
Honey: Honey adds a subtle sweetness to the loaf of bread that isn’t overpowering. It’s also a great addition to use instead of sugar.
Butter: Salted or unsalted butter work fine.
Wheat flour: Using wheat flour is a great flour to use for bread-making.
Salt: If salted butter is used, the extra salt addition can be omitted.
Baking a loaf of bread is versatile, so extra add-ins like sesame seeds, dried fruit, or sunflower seeds can happen easily.
How To Make Healthy Homemade Sandwich Bread
To make the wheat sandwich bread, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9X5 bread pan by lining it with parchment paper or spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
Add the warm water and yeast to a mixing bowl. Mix and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Add the butter, honey, and salt into the bowl and mix. If you are adding any additional ingredients, add them and stir. Slowly add the wheat flour in batches and mix on medium speed until combined.
Spray a little bit of oil on top of the dough mixture, and cover the bowl. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Once the hour is done, punch the dough down and shape it into a loaf. Place the dough into the bread pan. Cover it, and let it proof for 45 minutes.
Put the pan in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Once the baking time has passed, remove it from the oven. Let the bread cool for 1 hour, then slice and serve.
Tips For Making Sandwich Bread:
- Sift the flour: This isn’t a requirement, but many people find that sifting flour will create a softer texture without the worry of lumps in the dough.
- Check the yeast: If worried that the yeast is no longer active, do a small batch of warm water with a little bit of yeast added. If, after 5 minutes, the yeast isn’t foaming in the bowl, this is a clue that the yeast is too old and isn’t going to let the dough rise.
- Use different types of flour: Wheat flour works great for this bread recipe, but other types of flour can be used, too.
How To Store Freshly Baked Bread
The only way to keep baked bread soft and warm is to store it properly.
Be sure that the bread is completely cooled before storing it. Once it has cooled down, store it in an airtight container. You can store baked bread at room temperature for 2-3 days.
If you want to freeze baked bread, wrap the baked loaf in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and then store it in a sealable freezer bag. It should stay frozen without issue for up to 3 months.
To thaw frozen bread, let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
More Delicious Bread Recipes
Healthy Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9X5 bread baking pan with oil and keep it aside.
- In a stand mixing bowl with warm water, sprinkle the yeast and set aside for proofing for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, butter and salt, mix them well. Slowly add the flour in batches and beat on medium speed until everything comes together.
- In the same bowl, spray some oil and cover the bowl. Allow the dough to rise, keep it in a warm place to proof for an hour..
- Punch and shape the dough like a log to fit in the bread pan.
- Allow the dough for 2nd proofing for at least 45 minutes by covering the dough with clean wrap.
- After proofing, bake the bread for 40-45 minutes until the bread has a golden crust on top.
- Allow the bread to cool down for an hour and then slice them to serve.