Moist and fluffy carrot muffins made healthy with whole wheat flour, applesauce, and honey. They are amazingly delicious you would never know they are “healthy” and contain NO SUGAR!
I’ve finally hit the jackpot on this one. These “healthy” muffins will convert anyone into a healthy eater. They’re so unbelievably good you would never know they’re healthy. They’re everything you want in a muffin and more. They’re moist, fluffy, and packed full of flavor.
To make them healthy I used whole wheat flour, applesauce, and honey. I added a few tablespoons of butter to make them super moist. If you’re not a fan of butter, olive oil will work well too! I’ve simplified the process and made this recipe a one bowl recipe. First, you will need to simply whisk all the wet ingredients then stir in the wet ingredients. Lastly, stir in the shredded carrots and 1/2 cup of your favorite add-ins. I used chocolate chips of raisins and walnuts are also great in these muffins!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots about 2-3 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup of your favorite mix-ins chocolate chips, raisins, or walnuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease with butter, oil or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg, applesauce, honey, butter, and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir ingredients together until just combined and there are still some spots of flour remaining.
- Fold in the shredded carrots and 1/2 cup of your favorite add-ins. Mix just until combined (don't overmix).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. To store, cover with plastic wrap at room temperature for u to 3 days.