Soft and chewy homemade oatmeal creme pies are so much better homemade and taste 1000x better than the boxed version.Doesn’t this bring back memories? I think we all had these oatmeal creme pies as kids. I remember the little Debbie version. It was one of my favorite snacks. So soft, chewy, and dense. It was probably the only non-chocolate snack that I loved.
We don’t really eat much Little Debbie snacks these days so when my daughter asked me to get her one, I told her I will make my homemade version first and she decided what’s better. We baked and assembled these cookies together and she couldn’t stop eating them.
The batter is pretty easy to make, and assembling the cookies is a piece of cake. They are unbelievably delicious! The little work that goes into making these yummy creme pies is so worth it once you taste them.
Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats[br
- For the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat the butter, sugars, and molasses with an electric mixer or by hand until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in oats.
- Drop the dough in 2-tablespoonful mounds 2-inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Cool for 10 minutes before assembling.
- Beat softened cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Spread the filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Sandwich them with the remaining cookies. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 days.