Juicy Cheese stuffed chicken breasts seared in olive oil and topped with marinara sauce and a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella cheese. This delicious keto friendly stuffed parmesan chicken is healthier, filling and only 4 net carbs per serving! If your craving a warm and satisfying dinner that will not comprise the integrity of your keto diet, then I’ve got you covered with his delicious keto chicken parmesan. It’s loaded with delicious Italian flavors and will be sure to become a regular at your weekly dinner rotation.
We love it so much that even when I’m not doing keto, this is the only way I’ll have my chicken parmesan just because it’s so much healthier with no breading or frying needed. The chicken is simply seasoned with salt & pepper, Italian seasoning, stuffed with cheese, and pan seared in olive oil. It is then topped with marinara sauce and more cheese and baked until tender.
Ingredients for Keto Chicken Parmesan
chicken breasts: boneless skinless chicken breasts, the smaller the better
mozzarella cheese: shredded, fresh or your favorite melting cheese will also work
Parmesan cheese: fresh shredded works best
Marinara sauce aka spaghetti sauce: your favorite jar of keto approved marinara sauce (no sugar in sauce) or fresh homemade sauce
Spices: Italian seasoning (or oregano), garlic powder, salt and pepper
Olive oil: or your favorite oil
How to stuffed chicken breasts
- Season the chicken generously on both sides.
- Hold down the chicken breast and slide a sharp knife about three-quarters of the way through the chicken breast without slicing through the other side.
- stuff the chicken breasts and seal with toothpicks or a kabob skewer to contain the filling.
How to make stuffed keto parmesan chicken
The first step is to start with small-medium chicken breasts. The rule of thumb for us is the smaller the chicken breasts the better and most likely then healthier they’ll be. Generously season the chicken breasts on both sides and slice through to form a small pocket for the cheese.
Stuff the chicken breasts with cheese and seal with hands, toothpicks or kabob skewers. If you’re too lazy (like me) like or don’t have toothpicks or kabob skewers on hand, simply place the cheese in the chicken and press the edges gently to seal it with your hand. Some of the cheese might drip out of the chicken while baking but it will still taste amazing!
The next step is to pan sear the chicken breasts until they are golden and the edges are crispy. The step will give the chicken a beautiful crust and will add lots of flavor to the dish. If you’d like to go the extra step. Add 3-4 cloves of finely chopped garlic to the pan (toss them in right next to the chicken) about 30 seconds before adding the marinara sauce.
The last and final step is to top the chicken with marinara sauce and more cheese and bake for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken). Enjoy this low carb chicken parm with a side of arugula, avocado, your favorite chopped salad, zucchini pasta, or steamed veggies.
Keto Stuffed Chicken Parmesan
- 4 small chicken breasts or about 1 pound
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or your favorite melting cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine mozzarella and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast. Generously season both sides of the chicken breasts with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt & pepper.
- Stuff about ¼ cup of cheese into each chicken breasts and fold or seal with toothpicks if available.
- Heat 1 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-duty pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and sear for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden.
- Remove from heat and spoon sauce on chicken breasts. Top each chicken breast with a few tablespoons of cheese and bake uncovered at 375˚F for 15-20 min, or until an instant-read thermometer reads 165˚F.
- Serve immediately with a chopped salad, steam veggies or zucchini noodles.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Simple, uses the classic combination of marinara, parm and mozzarella cheese. Delicious.
Recommendation – if you have chicken breasts of different thickness, flatten then in the beginning to promote even cooking. Also, with very large breasts, cut them in half and flatten the thicker piece.
Really easy recipe. I had never stuffed a chicken breast and was amazed how simple it was. I used toothpicks to hold the sides together. Crisp cheese on top, gooey cheese oozing from the middle. Was delicious.
Great dish. Did the unstuffed version, next time I will try the stuffed version. Served with panfried sliced mushrooms and zucchini, done in the pan from the fried chicken. got the family vote!
Outstanding recipe! Fast, tasty and impressive. I meant to take a pic but it was gone before I REMEMBERED.