Lightened-up Cinnamon spiced sweet potato bread with cream cheese icing is super moist and tender.
Happy fall!! Autumn officially began yesterday at 10:21 and I couldn’t wait a single minute to start the fall baking! By 10:21 this delicious sweet potato bread was already in the oven 😀
I don’t bake sweets much but I just had to make this bread. If I didn’t, I would have thought about it everyday and eventually gotten up in the middle of the night to make it. Yup, I’m that obsessed with fall breads.Now I don’t mean to be a pest and ruin everyone’s dieting, but you guys know it’s bound to happen… Luckily, I’ve made a few changes to lightened up this sweet potato bread, and hopefully keep it as low calories as possible, without sacrificing the flavor or texture.
I’m going to list all the modifications you can make to make this bread a little healthier and the original recipe as well and you do as you choose.
- applesauce instead of the oil
- whole wheat flour instead of white
- honey instead of sugar
Lightened up Sweet Potato Bread with Cream Cheese IcingPrint Rate
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce or vegetable oil or butter
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt or sour cream, or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch salt optional and to taste
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or two 8-by-4-inch loaf pans, or a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or grease and flour; set aside.
- To Cook Potatoes (skip if using canned sweet potato): Scrub potato thoroughly and prick several times with a fork. Place on a plate. Cook on full power in the microwave for 5 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Slice in half and scrape flesh from the inside of the potato into a large bowl.
- In the same large bowl, add all the wet ingredients to the sweet potatoes. Mix to combine. add all the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon just until combine.
- Pour batter out into prepared pan(s), smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes for a 9x5 pan, top is golden, or toothpick inserted comes out clean. If making in muffin pans bake only 20 minutes. Cool for at least 20 minutes before icing.
- To make cream cheese icing:
- Beat the softened cream cheese and butter together until soft and creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat until thick and combined. Add milk and beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes. Spread or drizzle the frosting on the cooled bread.