A healthy alternative to mac and cheese, made with steamed cauliflower and tastes 100x better without all the added carbs!Just when you thought mac and cheese could not get any better it suddenly does! If this is your first time eating or even hearing about cauliflower mac and cheese, than bear with me and prepare to be amazed. Cauliflower mac and cheese is the perfect way to introduce this amazing veggie to your children in a clever way. It’s also great for people who are on a low-carb diet or simply trying to eat healthier.
This mac and cheese does NOT include any pasta at all. Yup. I said it. It’s made completely with cauliflower. The cauliflower is steamed in the microwave until almost soft and tender and resembles the texture of al-dente pasta. It works great in mac and cheese because the texture is so similar to macaroni.
But that’s not even the best part. The real magic happens in the cheese sauce. I like to brown onions or shallots and garlic when making mac and cheese to add an extra layer of flavor. I also use 3 types of cheeses. I personally like to combination of cheddar, parmesan, and mozzarella or italian cheese but you can totally mix things up.
My favorite cheese to use when specifically making mac and cheese is Crystal Farms Cheese because it melts beautiful and makes the perfect gooey cheese sauce.
Crystal Farms® brand is one of the largest cheese brands in the country. Lake Mills, Wisconsin has been home to Crystal Farms for the past 25 years and the hard-working, honest people of Lake Mills are devoted to delivering consistent quality and great tasting products for what they love – cheese!!
For this cauliflower mac and cheese I used Crystal Farms cheddar, 6 cheese italian, and parmesan. You can use the cheese blocks or the shredded version.
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 cup milk plus more as needed
- 1 Cup Crystal Farms® Sharp Cheddar shredded
- 1 Cup Crystal Farms® Mozzarella or Italian blend shredded
- 1/4 Cup Crystal Farms® Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces Crystal Farms® Cream Cheese sour-cream can also be used
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and place in a large microwave safe bowl Cover with plastic wrap and steam for 8-10 minutes or until cauliflower in tender. You can also boil the cauliflower in water on the stove top for 5 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, Heat a large pan or pot to medium high heat. Add the olive oil, butter, and onions. Cook onions for 3-5 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook for just 30 seconds. Add the milk and cheeses. Stir mixture until the cheese is fully melted and the texture is smooth.
- Pour in the steamed cauliflower and mix until fully combined. Boil for 3-5 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft and tender or to your preference.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Crystal Farms Cheese. The opinions and text are all mine.
Kristin S says
I love this recipe! No need to eat pasta when cauliflower tastes like this! Love that it doesn’t need the oven, too. Big hit!
LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! TRYING TO PACK ON POUNDS FOR MY FOOTBALL PLAYER SON WITHOUT THE CARBS! HE’S TYPE 1 DIABETIC! TOUCHDOWN!!! THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE! SOOOO DELICIOUS!
I was curious too on how much per serving so I can count my macros. please and thanks!
Didn’t work for me. Cheese all clumped together and was stringy, the rest was water. Not saucey at all. I used sour cream instead of cream cheese, maybe that’s why.
Came out really soupy for me…maybe I put in too much milk. Flavor is decent.
Pat t Travis says
Love your receipts
It sas per serving, but how much is per serving?