I love grilling in the summer. like seriously, I’ll grill everyday and would never get tired of it. I mean who can get tired of grilling anyway… Spring finaly broke through here in Philly and I couldn’t wait to crank out my grill and start my grilling adventures. Since I’m from the Middle East kabobs are like my bread and water. I love making them, assembling them, grilling them, and of course, eating them!
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you. These Mediterranean chicken kabobs are marinated in a zesty yogurt marinade for 3 hours before grilling. If you don’t have time you can make them instantly without marinating but marinating does help the chicken absorb the flavor. I marinated them with a mixture of Greek yogurt, lemon zest, cilantro, olive oil, and spices. I swear I wanted to eat them as soon as I saw that creamy marinated! They are super light,zesty and packed with flavor. They and can be served on rice or in a sandwich.
Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, Cubed
- 1 cup plain whole milk or Low-fat Greek yogurt, or regular plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- Zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 1/2 cup cilantro lightly minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8-10 skewers
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic yogurt, olive oil, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes.
- Thread the chicken onto metal skewers, add the onion pieces along the way in between the chicken pieces.Place the kebabs on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Spoon or brush the marinade all over the meat, coating well. Cover and refrigerate at least eight hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Grease the grill by lightly dipping a paper towel in vegetable oil and, carefully rub over the grates several times until glossy and coated. Grill the chicken kebabs until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the skewers to a plate and serve warm!