Bento boxes packed with hummus, pita, olives, chickpeas, cucumber, tomato, and falafel. This nutritious protein packed meal-prep box makes it easy to incorporate the delicious flavors of the Middle-East into your lunch routine. Bento boxes are great when you’re craving a snack but want something healthy that will fill you up till your next meal. This Middle-Eastern meal-prep bento box does just that. It’s loaded with fresh veggies, hummus, pita and baked falafel. The chickpeas, hummus, and falafel are high in fiber and protein which will keep you full and help you lose weight.
For the falafel, I used my crispy baked falafel recipe and for the hummus, I simply blended chickpeas, tahini sauce, lemon and seasoning in food processor. You can use store-bought hummus as well if you prefer.
For the bread, I used whole wheat pita. To make crunchy pita chips for the hummus, roast the pita in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- 1 cup cucumber sliced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup olives
- 1 whole wheat pita
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese optional
- 4-8 falafel optional
- For the hummus:
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained, + 2 tablespoons liquid reserved
- 2 tablespoons tahini sauce or plain yogurt Greek, full fat or low-fat
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the hummus: Blend garbanzo beans, tahini sauce (or yogurt) lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, in a food processor. Divide hummus into small 4oz containers if available (can also use snack size zip-lock bags).
- To Assemble: Divide cucumber, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, and feta cheese evenly into each container (mix them or keep them separate). Place 1/4 cup portions hummus in each container. Cut pita into 8 slices and place 2 slices in each container. Add 1-2 falafel into each container. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 days. Enjoy cold or at room temperature!