Falafel are vegan, nutritious and super delicious. This tasty oven–baked version makes the crispiest falafel that taste just like the fried stuff without all the added calories.
If you’re looking for the perfect baked falafel recipe than you’ve come to the right place. Being Middle-eastern, falafel were a staple in our home. My mom would make large batches and store the baked or unbaked falafel in the freezer. They make delicious sandwiches and are also great on salads or served with hummus. They also make great veggies burgers too. They’re healthy, packed with nutrition and are also vegan-friendly.
This baked version makes super crispy falafel that taste just like fried falafel without deep frying. This method is also great for making large batches or falafel because you can make 2-3 dozen in a large sheet pan in no time.
To serve the falafel, place them in a pita or tortilla; add onion, tomato, cucumber, tahini sauce or hummus. If you want to go the extra mile, try making my delicious shawarma white sauce.
Crispy Baked Falafel
- 1 cup dried chickpeas soaked in 4 cups water overnight
- 1/2 cup medium red onion chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley or cilantro chopped or a mix of both
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds optional
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a baking sheet with oil.
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to a food processor along with the onion, parsley, garlic, cumin, salt, baking powder, sesame seeds, and lemon juice. Pulse the mixture just until the ingredients are minced but not pureed, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or your hands, form small 2 inch balls and gently flatten them to form falafel shape. Arrange the falafel on the greased baking sheet and brush the top of the falafel with oil.
- Bake the falafel for 20 minutes, flip halfway, until golden and crispy on the outside. Serve with shawarma sauce or tahini or make into sandwiches.