You know you’re doing something right when the Fed Ex guy drops off a package and says ” I don’t know what you’re baking, but it smells amazing” Score!
How cute are these?! Moist and decadent tiny caramel apple upside down cakes. Seriously, these are probably the best thing that I’ve baked all season. They are moist yet crunchy, topped with chunks of caramelized apples and let’s not forget that scoop of vanilla ice-cream. I guess great things do come in small packages.
Now I know you’re probably asking yourself, “how did you manage to make these tiny bites so moist yet dense?” Well let me tell you, I used Sugar In The Raw Organic White® cane sugar and I’m sure glad I did.
At first I wasn’t sure how to substitute the Sugar In The Raw Organic White® for my regular sugar because it felt super moist just like brown sugar. I went ahead and used 3/4 cup and it worked perfectly. The cakes didn’t rise as much as I expected which was perfect because they turned out moist and a little dense ( the good kind!) and absorbed the caramel quite well. I’m currently loving Sugar In The Raw Organic White® because it’s a much healthier alternative to granulated sugar. It’s also non-GMO certified, USDA certified and Eco-social certified. So it’s not only good for you. it’s also good for mother nature! It’s perfect for cooking and baking and easily blends into any recipe.
Mini Caramel Apple Upside Down CakesPrint Rate
- CAKE BATTER:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Sugar In The Raw Organic White®
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium apples diced (any type will work)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray bottom and sides of 12 muffin tins with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To prepare the caramel topping: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar. Heat to boiling then immediately remove from heat (be careful not to over boil). Pour mixture into 12 cupcake tins, dividing evenly. Divide diced apples evenly over caramel mixture. Set aside.
- To prepare the cake batter: In a medium bowl,combine the flour, salt baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat the Sugar In The Raw Organic White® and butter until fluffy (scrape down sides as needed). Beat in the eggs until smooth, next add the vanilla and milk. Gradually incorporate flour mixture until batter is smooth and fluffy. Scoop batter into muffin tins (about 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons in each tin). Be sure to fill the tins to the top. The batter will not rise too much during baking.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until cakes are golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Place the muffin tin on a jelly roll pan or any pan that the muffin tin can fit into; turn plate and muffin tin upside down. Gently lay the pan down and check if all the cakes have released. If not, then leave the pan as is, flipped onto the jelly roll pan until all the cakes have released.
- Serve warm with Vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream. Refrigerate for up to 1 week. Enjoy!
Thanks In the Raw ® For sponsoring this post! As always, all opinions are 100% my own. I will be working with In The Raw® this fall to share with you a series of holiday inspired recipes using Sugar In The Raw Organic White®®, where sweetness runs in the family.