Learn how to prepare a sweet and savory meal with this Thai inspired Pineapple Fried Rice recipe served in a pineapple boat. You can eat it by itself or as a side dish with glazed grilled chicken or other tasty entrees.
Is fried rice one of your favorite side dishes? You might like to eat it with shrimp, crab, and even fried chicken. If you already enjoy it, why not make it at home? You can prepare a Pineapple Fried Rice that tastes so fresh and flavorful, you might start preparing this dish more often instead of ordering takeout.
Although you might think it is complicated to make this popular side dish, it is quite simple. With the right ingredients, you will have the perfect rice dish ready to eat by itself or with other foods.
What You’ll Need to Make the Pineapple Fried Rice
You will need several specific ingredients before you start preparing the Pineapple Fried Rice. These are the ingredients to get:
- Cooked Jasmine Rice. Prepare your jasmine rice as you normally would and set it off to the side.
- Pineapple. Before adding the pineapple to the rice, chop it down into small pieces, and don’t forget to save the shell for serving in if desired!
- Soy Sauce. When making fried rice, you need to add some soy sauce to give it that slightly salty taste.
- Carrot. Chop some carrot into tiny pieces before tossing it in with your rice and other ingredients.
- Green Peas. The green peas add extra flavor and texture to the rice. They go great with all the other ingredients.
- Minced Ginger. Use minced ginger to enhance the sweet taste of the pineapple in your rice.
You will need a few other ingredients, including olive oil, minced garlic, chopped onion, red bell pepper, vinegar, salt, green onions, and ground white pepper.
How to Make Pineapple Fried Rice
Preparing Pineapple Fried Rice is simple. Start by adding oil to a large skillet and setting the flame on medium-high. Toss in your ginger and garlic and then saute these two ingredients for a minute.
Once you have cooked the garlic and ginger for a minute, toss in the onion and continue cooking until the onions become translucent. You may then add in the carrots and bell peppers, cooking for about four minutes, before adding the peas and pineapple to the skillet.
Continue cooking for an additional two minutes before you add your soy sauce, vinegar, white pepper, and salt into the skillet. Mix all the ingredients for a minute or so and then add your cooked rice.
Toss the ingredients around together for several minutes before adding in your green onions and serving.
The result is delicious fried rice packed full of sweet, sour, and savory flavor and texture. It’s one of my favorite Thai dishes and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we did!
How to Make Pineapple Boat/Bowl
You can serve this delicious fried rice as is or if you’d like to go the extra steps and impress your family or guests, Serve it in the pineapple shell.
To being, stand the pineapple upright and cut it in half vertically. Next, cut around the outer edge of the pineapple about 1/2 inch from the skin. Score the center and scoop out the flesh (for recipe) leaving just about 1/4”- 1/2” of pineapple in the shell.
How to Store the Pineapple Fried Rice
After you make Pineapple Fried Rice, put any leftovers in a food container with an airtight lid and leave the rice in the fridge. You can keep the rice in the fridge for about five days, although you may keep it in there for less time than that because this rice is so irresistible!
You can freeze the Pineapple Fried Rice if you would like to save it for weeks or months. If you plan to freeze it, put the rice in a food storage bag, remove the extra air from the bag, and seal it shut beforehand.
Pineapple Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, Chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, Chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, Chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple, chopped, Chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup green onions, Chopped
- Heat a large skillet on a medium flame. Add olive oil, ginger, garlic; saute for a minute.
- Add the onion and cook till the onions turn translucent. Add in the carrots and bell peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes , add the green peas and pineapple. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, white pepper, salt. Mix it.
- Add the cooked rice and toss them until well combined.
- Finally, add the green onions and transfer them to a plate and serve while it is still warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.