Who loves pumpkin? This Pumpkin Cake Roll recipe is an essential fall dessert that will be sure to impress your family and friends!
It’s Soft & Fluffy and loaded with pumpkin and warm spices, and is filled with a fluffy homemade cream cheese frosting.
Making pumpkin rolls is a fall tradition in our house. Can you blame us? They’re fun and simple, and honestly look like they came straight from a professional bakery!
This simple pumpkin recipe is not only easy to make but it’s so full of that delicious pumpkin flavor. And since you get that homemade cream cheese frosting in every bite, you know it’s going to be great!
One thing that I have noticed since making this sweet treat is that it disappears very quickly once done. I’ll attribute that to my baking skills as it just gives me more reasons to make it over and over again.
TO MAKE A PUMPKIN CAKE ROLL YOU WILL NEED:
For the pumpkin cake
- All-purpose flour – This is what will be binding to make the delicious cake.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Perfect for adding in that extra pumpkin flavoring.
- Baking powder – Don’t forget to add so it helps the cake be fluffy!
- Eggs – Combined with the flour, the cake batter will start to form.
- Granulated sugar – Just a little bit of added sweetness is needed.
- Vanilla extract – Adding vanilla is a must for most baking recipes.
- Pumpkin puree – Make sure that you use real pumpkin and not canned squash.
- Powdered sugar, for dusting – This is optional but wonderful.
For the cream cheese filling
- Cream cheese – Make sure you have it at room temperature.
- Unsalted butter – Don’t use salted butter here as it will be too salty.
- Powdered sugar – The perfect sugar to add in a hint of sweetness.
- Vanilla extract – Don’t forget the vanilla!
HOW TO MAKE A PUMPKIN CAKE ROLL
If you’ve ever wondered if you could make a cake roll on your own, this is the recipe to try!
Start by preheating your own and greasing a baking tray. Set it aside once done.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and in a separate bowl, combine the eggs and sugar.
Add the vanilla and pumpkin with the wet ingredients and whisk. Combine the dry and wet mixture together and stir.
Pour the batter into your tray and bake in the oven for up to 15 minutes of time.
While the cake is baking, go ahead and work on the frosting! To make the cream cheese frosting, mix the ingredients on medium speed using a hand mixer.
Place a bit of powdered sugar on a clean kitchen towel and put the baked cake on top once it’s removed from the oven and has cooled for a few minutes. Roll the cake carefully and let the cake cool down.
Unroll the cake and add the filling evenly. Then, just roll the cake back up.
Wrap the cake in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for an hour. Remove and dust with powdered sugar and pipe some leftover filling on top.
CAN YOU FREEZE A PUMPKIN CAKE ROLL?
You can but it’s so much better fresh. If you have the chance to it eat right when you make it, you’re going to be super happy with the flavor and taste.
WHAT OTHER FROSTINGS CAN BE USED FOR THIS SIMPLE PUMPKIN CAKE RECIPE?
If you’re not a fan of cream cheese frosting, you can use any type of frosting that you want. Vanilla frosting is great as well!
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER PUMPKIN ROLL CAKE?
Once you make this simple cake roll recipe, you want to be sure to store it in an airtight container to keep it as fresh as possible for as long as possible. You’ll also want to keep it stored in the fridge as well!
More Pumpkin Desserts to Try:
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Cake Pops
- Pumpkin Donuts with Maple Glaze
Pumpkin Cake Roll
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.2 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Powdered sugar for dusting
For the cream cheese filling
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a half sheet baking tray and line a parchment; keep it aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients together; all-purpose flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl combine eggs and sugar. Beat them using a hand mixer for 4-5 minutes until pale and light. Add in the vanilla and pumpkin puree; whisk vigorously until everything is well combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix it well without any lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and tap on the counter a few times to release the air bubbles if any. Bake them for 13 -15 minutes until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Dust powdered sugar on a kitchen towel, flip the cake carefully to the kitchen towel. Remove the parchment paper and dust some more powdered sugar generously over the top.
- Start rolling the cake from the short end gently with the towel and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese filling: To a mixing bowl combine cream cheese and butter; beat them on a medium speed using a hand mixer. Slowly add the powdered sugar in batches until all the sugar is incorporated.
- Now beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy for 4-5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat for 2-3 minutes until everything is well combined and the filling turns smooth and light.
- Unroll the cake and spread the prepared filling over the cake evenly and carefully roll it back without the towel. (Reserve a ¼ cup of filling to decorate later)
- Wrap the cake roll with cling wrap and refrigerate the cake for at least an hour to set.
- Dust powdered sugar and pipe the filling as a decoration on top; slice the cake roll to serve.
Leave a Reply