Creamy & Cheesy Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese in just 35 minutes. Loaded with pumpkin flavor perfection making this pasta the perfect fall dinner!
Everyone loves macaroni and cheese but when you can take that flavor and taste to a whole new level, why wouldn’t you? This easy pumpkin mac is perfect for fall flavors. (but can honestly be made at any point in time!)
The best part about this simple mac and cheese is that it’s creamy, cheesy, and loaded with cheese. Can you ever have too much cheese in a delicious macaroni and cheese recipe? My answer is no.
The big difference in this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe is that it really is made using canned pumpkin. It’s amazing how one simple ingredient can create a new household favorite.
TO MAKE CREAMY PUMPKIN MAC AND CHEESE YOU WILL NEED:
- Elbow macaroni – This is the best type of noodles to use for mac and cheese!
- Unsalted butter – If all you have is salted butter, you will just want to omit the salt later in the recipe.
- All-purpose flour – This helps to add thickness to the dish.
- Whole milk – I think whole milk adds a nice and rich flavor.
- Ground mustard – Adding this adds some saltiness as well.
- Garlic powder – Everyone loves the taste of garlic!
- Paprika – Can’t make without a pinch of paprika!
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pumpkin puree – Use real pumpkin from a can, not squash.
- Gruyere cheese – So good.
- Cheddar cheese – A must-have cheese! Helps to make the dish creamy.
- Parsley, to garnish (optional)
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN MACARONI AND CHEESE
Once you add this fall flair to the dish, you might not want to make it any other way!
Start by cooking the macaroni noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
Add the butter in the skillet. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and cook. Next, whisk in the milk and make a nice and smooth sauce.
Add in your spices and let it all come together nicely. Stir in the pumpkin and cook. Add the cheese until all the cheese mixture is melted.
Take the sauce from the stove and add to the cooked macaroni. Mix until coated. If you want to garnish, now is the time!
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER MAC AND CHEESE?
Storing is the simple part! Just let it cool down all the way and then put it in an airtight container with a lid. It should stay good for a couple of days and it’s easy to eat over and over again.
To reheat mac and cheese, just pop the dish in the microwave for a few seconds. Stir and if it needs a bit more time, add it back and do it again.
WHAT ELSE COULD YOU ADD TO MACARONI AND CHEESE?
If you wanted to try out different flavors of cheese, go for it! You can also try adding in some bacon bits and see if you like that salty and sort-of-sweet combination.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I OVERCOOK THE NOODLES?
Be very careful and just pay attention so this doesn’t happen. Follow the directions on the package. If you overcook the noodles, they’re going to be very mushy. While they’re still edible, they’re not the best texture or flavor.
More Delicious Mac & Cheese Recipes
Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 oz gruyere cheese grated
- 4 oz 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
- Parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions(minus 1 minute). Once done, drain the water and set it aside.
- In a large skillet add butter; once the butter is melted sprinkle the flour. Cook for a minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until the sauce is smooth without any lumps and starts to thicken.
- Add in the spices; ground mustard, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in the pumpkin puree and cook for a couple of minutes until everything comes together.
- Add in the grated gruyere cheese and cheddar cheese and continue to cook until the cheese is melted.
- To the creamy pumpkin, add sauce in the cooked macaroni. Mix until the sauce is evenly coated. Garnish the dish with fresh parsley.
- Transfer the pumpkin mac and cheese to a bowl and serve.
Leave a Reply