Soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls are made completely from scratch and are ready in just 45 minutes!
I shared my soft cinnamon rolls recipe a few years back and I’ve been getting so many comments and emails about them so I thought I’d share an even better recipe!
This 45-minute cinnamon roll recipe is my go-to recipe when making cinnamon rolls because it produces the softest fluffiest cinnamon rolls ever. Dare I say even better than Cinnabon! I honestly have not gone back to the old 2-hour method since because why wait 2-3 hours when they can be ready in just 45 minutes?!
What You Will Need to Make 45-Minute Cinnamon Rolls
To these delicious soft & fluffy 45-minute rolls you will need a few key ingredients.
All-purpose Flour: All-purpose flour or bread flour can be used. I use all-purpose flour since it’s what I usually have in my pantry.
Instant Yeast: This recipe uses Instant active dry yeast mixed with sugar and warm water. Instant yeast activates much faster than normal yeast and will yield better results.
Milk: I like to use whole milk but any milk of choice will also work.
Butter and an Egg: These should be at room temperature. The eggs add flavor and help the dough rise and the butter adds flavor and texture.
Cinnamon Filling: The cinnamon filling is made with brown sugar, cinnamon, and more butter. Light, Dark, or even granulated sugar works.
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls Quickly
The secret to getting the dough to rise is to preheat your oven to 200F for about 10 minutes, while you’re making the dough. This temperature is perfect for allowing the dough to rise without baking it. Be sure to turn off the oven before placing the cinnamon rolls in it to rise.
While the oven is preheating to 200F, roll out the dough and spread the cinnamon mixture on it, cut it, and place the rolls in a pan.
Cover with foil or plastic wrap and place in the pre-heat oven (that has been turned off!!) for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the rolls will be soft and fluffy. At that point remove the foil or plastic wrap and turn on the oven to 375F and bake for 15 minutes.
As you can see below, the fluffiest cinnamon rolls. Top with some glaze, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy!
How to Store Cinnamon Rolls
Although we love to enjoy cinnamon rolls right away, if you do have any left over they can be easily stored in order to preserve the texture and flavor.
Cinnamon rolls can be stored at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. You can also freeze cinnamon rolls by wrapping them tightly or storing them in an airtight container. You can even individually freeze the rolls for quick treats. To reheat, simply microwave for 20-30 seconds or until softened.
More Delicious Cinnamon Roll Recipes
- Fluffy Cinnamon Rolls
- Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
45 Minute Cinnamon Rolls
To Make the Dough
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside. In a small microwavable bowl, heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted (about 30-45 seconds). Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and knead with hand or with stand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and turn off after 10 minutes or just before placing rolls in oven.
To Make the Filling
- After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, roll it out in a 15×9 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough. Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 9 (large) even piece. Place in a lightly greased 9-inch or square pan (or cut into 12 small pieces and place in a 9×13 pan) and lightly cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Place the cinnamon buns in the oven to rise for 20 minutes (with the oven off). After 20 minutes, Keep the buns in the oven (REMOVE THE FOIL OR PLASTIC)and turn on the oven to 375F. Bake the cinnamon rolls for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and top with glaze.
To Make the Glaze
- Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 Tablespoons milk together until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over warm rolls.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.