Lettuce wraps filled with tender spicy shrimp, avocado & tomato salsa and topped with a spicy jalapeno cilantro sauce. This flavor-packed tacos are low-carb and keto and make an AMAZING lunch or dinner.
This month has become the month of lettuce wraps. They’re easy to make, super healthy, low-carb & keto and DELICIOUS! replacing tortillas with lettuce leaves can help you avoid unnecessary carbs and will do wonders if you are on a low-carb diet. The lettuce leaves add a delicious crunch and freshness to the tacos and you most likely will not miss the tortillas.
Today’s lettuce wraps are loaded with tender taco spiced shrimp and a zesty tomato and avocado salsa. They are then topped with a creamy jalapeno and cilantro lime sauce. The spiciness from the shrimp, along with the fresh avocado and tomato salsa, and the kick from the jalapeno cilantro sauce make a delicious flavor-packed combo that is out of this world!
To being, you will need a pound of shrimp peeled and tails removed. The shrimp are coated with a generous layer of seasoning and pan grilled for just 5 minutes on medium-high heat. The trick is to heat your pan until it’s SUPER hot so when you add the shrimp they char quickly and develop that beautiful color. This will also ensure the shrimp does not dry our or become rubbery.
After you have cooked the shrimp, combine diced avocado, diced tomato, cilantro and a sprinkle of lime in a medium bowl. Season the salsa with salt and pepper and set aside until you are ready to serve.
For the cilantro sauce, you will need sour-cream, yogurt or mayonnaise. I personally like to use sour-cream but whatever you have on hand will do! Combine about 1/4 cup fo sour-cream with 1/4 cup of cilantro, 1/2 a jalapeno, garlic, and zest of 1/2 lime in a food processor. The result is a spicy sauce that compliments the tacos and will make you keep coming back for more.
Spicy Shrimp Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 20 medium shrimp peeled and deveined (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- squeeze of lime optional
- 1 avocado cut into chunks
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice from half a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8-12 lettuce leaves
To cook the shrimp
- In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili, and salt. Add shrimp and mix until shrimp is covered in seasoning. Heat a large heavy-duty or cast iron skillet on high heat for 2 minutes. Add the olive oil and shrimp. Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until shrimp is cooked through. Turn off heat and finish with a squeeze of lime (optional).
To make avocado tomato salsa
- In a medium bowl, gently combine tomato, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and mixed through. Set aside.
To make the Jalapeno Cilantro Sauce
- Add the sour cream, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, lime and salt and pepper to a food processor. Blend for 30 seconds or until creamy.
- Plac two romaine or butter lettuce leaves on top of each-other for each lettuce wraps. Top with 4-5 pieces of shrimp, a few tablespoons of avocado salsa and a genros drizzle of the spicy jalapeno cilantro sauce. Enjoy hot or cold!