Who says you need to have meat when preparing a delicious lasagna? Enjoy this meatless vegetarian lasagna loaded with carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, and a trio of cheeses. It tastes incredible and is excellent for you because of the ingredients used to make it.
Do you love lasagna but no longer eat meat? If so, you will fall in love with this Vegetarian Lasagna. It is full of flavor and packed with naturally good vegetables for you, including zucchini, carrots, and peppers. If you want to have a hearty dish that will leave you feeling satisfied, prepare this recipe because it is just that good!
What You’ll Need to Prepare the Vegetarian Lasagna
When preparing the Vegetarian Lasagna, make sure that you have these essential ingredients before getting started:
- Lasagna Noodles. It does not matter which brands you choose. Select the brand of lasagna noodles that you like the most.
- Zucchini. Chop your zucchini before adding it to this dish. Zucchini is good for you and goes great with the sauce used to prepare this lasagna.
- Minced Garlic Cloves. Use minced garlic cloves in this dish to give it that authentic Italian taste.
- Red Bell Pepper. The red bell pepper adds a bit of a crunch to the dish while contributing to its flavor.
- Ricotta Cheese. Just like you would when preparing a traditional lasagna, make sure to have plenty of ricotta cheese to use on your lasagna noodles.
- Mozzarella Cheese. The combination of ricotta and mozzarella goes great in any lasagna, especially this vegetarian version.
- Crushed Tomatoes. Use crushed tomatoes to create a sauce base for the lasagna.
You will need to have a few other ingredients, including Italian seasonings, parmesan cheese, eggs, basil leaves, ground pepper, carrots, onions, olive oil, salt, and crushed red chili.
How to Make the Vegetarian Lasagna
To begin making this delicious Vegetarian Lasagna, you need to preheat your oven to 350F and grab a casserole dish. If you do not have a casserole dish, you can use an aluminum foil lasagna pan to prepare this dish. Cook the lasagna noodles in boiling water with a bit of salt and oil. Remove them from the water when they are fully cooked and set them off to the side.
Heat a separate pan with olive oil, onion, and garlic for several minutes. Add the veggies to the pan one-by-one, and then add the pepper, red chili, Italian seasonings, and basil. Continue to stir the veggies together.
Add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet with the vegetables and let it all cook for up to seven minutes.
While the vegetables cook, add ricotta cheese to a bowl with the egg, salt, and pepper. Pour a bit of the vegetable sauce blend on the bottom of your casserole dish, and then add a layer of your lasagna noodles to it.
Add some of the veggie sauce blend on top of the noodles, followed by some of the ricotta cheese mixture and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
Repeat the process until you run out of lasagna noodles.
Cover your Vegetarian Lasagna, bake it for 20 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes uncovered.
You can set your oven to broil for the last two minutes if you want the top of the lasagna to get a bit crispy.
Ways to Store Your Vegetarian Lasagna
Keep the Vegetarian Lasagna in the casserole dish, cover it with aluminum foil, and keep it in the fridge for up to four days. If you need to save it a bit longer, you can freeze it, but you would need to slice it first. You can cut it into slices and put it in a food storage container or freezer storage bag before placing the lasagna into the freezer, where it can stay for up to four months.
More Delicious Vegetarian Recipes
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven 350 degree F. Grease a 9X13 inch casserole dish.
- In a large pot bring water to boil, add a tablespoon of oil and salt. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and keep the cooked noodles aside.
- Heat a wide pan with remaining olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions turn translucent.
- Add in the veggies one by one; carrots, bell peppers, and zucchini. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the spices; red chili, pepper, Italian seasonings, basil, and salt.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and cook until the liquid is thickened with the veggies for about 5-7 minutes on a medium-low flame.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, salt, and pepper and keep it ready.
- Add a ¼ cup of vegetable sauce mixture to the greased baking dish. Arrange a layer of cooked lasagna noodles above the saucy mixture.
- Layer ⅓ portion of veggie saucy above the noodles followed by ½ the portion of prepared ricotta mixture. Spread a layer of parmesan and mozzarella cheese and arrange the lasagna noodles again and repeat the same layerings.
- In the final layer add the noodles, vegetable saucy mixture, and cheese.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil. Bake the lasagna for 20 minutes and remove the foil and bake further for 15 minutes.
- Broil for 2 more minutes to get the crusty golden top.
- Slice and serve the lasagna while it is still warm.