Chicken and broccoli coated in a light skinny garlic Alfredo sauce. This guilt free version of chicken Alfredo is creamy, flavor and is even tastier than the original. Plus, it all comes together in under 30 minutes! Lightning up fatty dishes has become one of my favorite jobs as a food blogger. There are so many pasta dishes out there but they’re usually full of butter and heavy cream so I can never really enjoy them without feeling guilty.
Luckily, with the help of a few teaspoons flour, low-fat milk, and chicken stock a thick and creamy sauce comes together in under 10 minutes. I swear you guys, this sauce is everything you want in a creamy pasta sauce and more. It’s extremely flavorful, creamy and decadent.
To get start simply toss your pasta in boiling water and cook it al-dente, and add broccoli during the last minute of cooking. I used regular pasta but whole wheat or even zucchini noodles will work great too.
While the pasta is cooking pan sear your chicken breasts in a tablespoon of olive oil. You can also used pre-cooked chicken too if your prefer. Next, saute some garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil (in the same pan!) then whisk in the flour along with some milk and chicken stock (You can use whole milk, low-fat or fat-free. You can also replace the chicken stock with veggie stock or even water). Add parmesan and season with salt and pepper and whisk away folks.
In minutes, a light and healthy sauce is born. Toss in some cooked pasta, chicken breasts, and broccoli into this delicious sauce and enjoy a healthy filling meal without the guilt!
Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
- 8-10 ounces pasta(any shape, or whole wheat or zoodles)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- For the chicken:
- 2 medium chicken breasts, pounded flat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the Alfredo sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or butter)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 cup low-fat milk (or whole or skim or any milk of your choice)
- ½ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Add the broccoli florets to the pasta during the last minute of cooking. Turn off heat and drain pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add the olive oil to pan. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook chicken breasts for 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from pan, cool for 5 minutes then slice or dice.
- To the same pan, add the minced garlic and 1 tablespoon olive or butter. Sautee for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until light golden, be careful not to burn garlic. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken stock and milk, whisking constantly, until incorporated. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Turn off heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked drained pasta and broccoli to the sauce. Top with cooked (diced or sliced) chicken breasts. Toss to combine or serve chicken on top. Top with more parmesan cheese or parsley, if desired. Enjoy!