Healthy Homemade Chicken shawarma bowls filled with homemade chicken, salad, hummus, and a very special yogurt jalapeno sauce. Happy Ramadan to everyone who celebrates it! Today marks the first day of the holy month of Ramadan so I though I’d share one of my favorite recipes to celebrate!
For the next 30 days I will be fasting from food and water during the day from sunrise to sunset. That’s from about 4 am- 8:30 pm; 16 long hours! I’m super excited and hope all goes well! For those of you wondering about the recipes, fear not! 😀 I will continue to make and share all my favorite recipes this month! Okay so for all the hungry people out there, I will get started with these delicious shawarma bowls. They are loaded with delicious spiced chicken, Middle-Eastern salad, hummus, rice, and a special yogurt jalapeno sauce. It’s basically a bowl loaded with so much flavor and goodness!
These bowls can be made with or without rice, served as a rice bowl or salad. I like to add a little rice on the side but that’s totally optional.
I used chicken thighs and marinated them for a few hours in my spicy shawarma seasoning, check out the recipe here for the full post and video on making easy oven baked shawarma chicken. You can also use chicken breasts for the recipe by cutting the cooking time in half. The link above features oven baked shawarma chicken but today I pan seared the chicken. You can do either or because both methods work very well.
Healthy Chicken Shawarma Bowls
- For the rice:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1¾ cup water
- pinch of salt
- For the chicken:
- 2 chicken thighs boneless, skinless (or app ½ lb)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- For the jalapeno yogurt Sauce:
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and veins removed, adjust to taste
- ¼ cup chopped herb of choice (parsley, mint, dill or cilantro)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp of lime or lemon juice
- For the salad:
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup chickpeas (canned or cooked)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- To serve:
- ¼ cup hummus (homemade or store bought)*
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste (optional)
- Lettuce of choice
- To cook the rice: Begin by making the rice. Wash the rice until it runs clear. Fill a medium saucepan with 1¾ cups water, add a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Add the rice, stir, and wait until the water comes back to a full boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer the rice covered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes turn off the heat and allow keep rice covered for 5 more minutes. After 5 minutes fluff rice with fork and keep warm until ready to serve.
- To cook the chicken: While the rice is cooking, prepare and cook the chicken. In a large plastic bag or bowl, combine the chicken, lemon juice, garlic, and spices until the chicken is fully loaded. Make immediately or marinate 1-2 hours or overnight. Heat a large heavy duty skillet to medium-high heat for at least 2 minute. Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil to the pan. Cook the chicken uncovered for 8-10 minutes per side or until the center is fully cooked. Rest for 5 minutes then cut and serve.
- To make the jalapeno yogurt sauce:Place all the ingredients in a blender or food process and blend for 1 minute or until fully combined.
- To assemble: Combine all the ingredients for the salad in a medium bowl. Assemble the shawarma bowls by place about ½ cup cooked rice in the bottom of two medium serving bowls. Top with sliced shawarma chicken, salad, hummus, jalapeno sauce, feta cheese, and drizzle with tahini sauce. Serve immediately.
NotesTo make homemade hummus: In a food processor, combine 1 cup drained well-cooked or canned chickpeas, liquid reserved, ¼ cup tahini (sesame paste), 1 tablespoon olive oil, clove of garlic, and salt & pepper to taste. process everything; add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
- Calories: 523