If you love red velvet as much as I do, you’re going to love these red velvet pancakes. They are super fluffy and super moist. I love eating red velvet cakes, bars, cupcakes, you name it! more importantly, I just LOVE pancakes! so this is like the best of both worlds and came just in time for valentines day.
I decided to use what I call ‘cream cheese syrup’ instead of maple syrup because well, cream cheese frosting and red velvet are meant to be together and I hated to separate them during valentines day! the syrup was delicious and super easy to make.
I used red velvet cake mix. At first, I tried making these pancakes with just 2 ingredients like my 2 Ingredient Chocolate Pancakes recipe but they kept burning and would not hold. I don’t know why, but I’m assuming that red-velvet cake mix is not the same as a chocolate cake mix. I adjusted the recipe by adding an egg and 1/2 cup of flour and it worked like a charm.
I used two cups of cake mix, 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 1/4 cups of milk to make 8 medium size pancakes. Be sure to cook on a low-medium heat so they don’t over-burn, my range is a 1-10 and I had it on 5 the whole time. If you don’t have red velvet cake mix on hand you can use ANY flavor of cake mix!
- 2 cups red velvet cake mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk or water
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon butter or oil for greasing the pan
- Cream Cheese Syrup
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat skillet on medium heat while you prepare the batter.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg and milk until well combined. Add the red velvet flour and all-purpose flour at the same time. Beat by hand for 2-3 minutes until the batter is fluffy.
- Brush the pan with oil or butter and pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet, spread out with a spoon if the batter is too thick. Cook until the small bubble (about 1 minute or less) begin to form of the pancake, flip and cook for no more then 1 minute. Make sure to leave the heat on medium/low so the pancakes don't burn. Keep a close eye on them while cooking.
- Cook pancakes one by one until all are finished.
- Cream Cheese Syrup
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla for 1-2 minutes by hand. Drizzle over pancakes and enjoy!