Incredible Chicken Quesadillas are packed with juicy chicken, peppers, onions, garlic, and lots of melty cheese. They are an easy and healthy idea that is perfect for those hectic weeknights.
One thing is for sure…we LOVE chicken quesadillas at our house. They are always on our recipe rotation because the entire family loves them. Of course, I love them not just because they taste amazing, but because they are so simple to make. I can throw them together in a matter of a few minutes, and they are perfection.
We will occasionally hit a fast food restaurant and get take out quesadillas, and I have to say I prefer my homemade ones any day. The fast-food ones are good, and of course, you don’t have to put in any effort, but they lack flavor. Plus, who knows what kinds of ingredients go into them that aren’t good for you. You can feel great about feeding these chicken quesadillas to your family.
What You Need To Make Chicken Quesadillas
- Chicken breasts: Chop up the chicken into bite sized pieces. This will make it cook much faster and will give it a great texture for the quesadillas.
- Oil: You can use olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil or anything else you like.
- Diced bell pepper: You can use any color that you like. Red peppers tend to be sweeter than green. Try a variety if you want.
- Diced onion: I love the added flavor onions give to the homemade quesadillas.
- Jalapeno: You can omit the jalapeno if you want, but we like a little bit of heat in ours. Chop them up and toss them in if you want them to be spicy.
- Garlic: Mince the garlic and add them to the chicken quesadillas. I love the flavor it adds and I think you will too.
- Taco seasoning: The easy quesadillas get tons of flavor from the taco seasoning.
- Shredded cheese: Use your favorite cheese that melts well and it will be perfect. We like to use cheddar cheese, but anything will work.
- Medium flour tortillas: The secret to the quesadillas is using a flour tortilla. They cook well and give you a nice crunch when you bite into them.
How To Make Chicken Quesadillas
Quesadillas are going to become a new household favorite if they aren’t already. They please a crowd and you don’t have to spend a lot of time cooking them!
To start off, chop up the chicken so it’s in bite-sized pieces. Warm the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pan. Once the oil is hot add in the chicken pieces and taco seasoning. The aroma is amazing!
After you saute the chicken for 5 minutes sprinkle in the onions, peppers, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Remove the ingredients from the pan.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of oil then place a flour tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle some shredded cheese and 1/4 of the chicken and veggie mixture. Add a little bit more cheese then fold the tortilla in half. Cook until each side is crispy and remove from the pan. Repeat the steps until all four of the quesadillas have been cooked.
You can slice the chicken quesadillas in half or even thirds then serve with some sour cream, salsa, guacamole or dipping sauce.
How to Make Quesadillas with Leftover Chicken
You can easily swap out the raw chicken for leftover chicken. You will need to sautee the peppers and onions for 3-4 minutes. Then add the chicken and taco seasoning and combine well. Then remove the ingredients from the pan and continue as directed.
What Kind Of Dipping Sauces Can I Use?
There are several dipping sauces that are perfect with these quesadillas. Here are a few of our favorites:
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded melting cheese
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- Cut chicken breasts into small bite size pieces. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy duty pan. Add the chicken breasts and taco seasoning to the pan. Sautee 4-5 minutes then add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, sautee another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove mixture from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add ½ teaspoon oil and a tortilla, top with a handful of shredded cheese, and 1/4th the chicken mixture, then with more cheese. Fold the tortilla and cook on both sides until crispy and golden. Remove from the pan and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- To serve: Slice tortillas in half or thirds and serve with sour-cream, salsa, guacamole or your favorite dipping sauce.
More Delicious Quesadilla Recipes
Don’t forget to check out these other mouthwatering quesadilla recipes:
Easy & delicious! Used up leftover chicken, tortillas & cheese. My boyfriend is picky, and said to save this recipe! We both loved it!
Soggy mess. The chicken and veggies add too much moisture and make a gross puddle. Use shredded chicken instead and a fresh pan for the tortillas.
Zainab Ameen says
Easy recipie n tastes great
Annie Cummings says
Brought this as an appetizer to a party, it was a huge hit, everyone wanted the recipe. I used a rotisserie chicken and in the morning chopped it up and sprinkled it with about a teaspoon of McCormick’s Mojito Lime Grill Mate seasoning, tossed to coat and let sit for about 6 hours. I also chopped up the garlic, onions and peppers, sprinkled them with a teaspoon of taco seasoning, placed in separate bowl and let them refrigerate for 6 hours as well. It was great to have everything prepped ahead of time and let the flavors meld.
The ads are so bloody horrendous that they cause migraines. I just copied the recipe and added it to a doc because this website is unnavigable.
Recipe is absolutely delicious though, to be clear
neil walker says
Can you add a red chilli
Swetha Ts says
I made this tonight when my husband was not in mood for simple baked chicken . I quickly cut up the chicken and veggies , made the filling . Stuffed it in tortilla with cheese. I am vegetarian but it smelled and looked so good I was tempted to made myself a vegetarian version.
I made this recipe tonight for the first time. Everyone loved it My 3 grandkids, some of which can be picky eaters, all ate seconds and thirds. Thanks for an easy, delicious recipe!
I am Asian so quesadilla is something I would never know how to figure straight out of my head. I have done several quesadilla my style before but this one… it hits the spot! My British husband gave this an mmmmm effect and so does our inter-racial daughter. She loves it! thank you for making it easy for people like me 😉
SHAY B says
I always seem to have left-over rotisserie chicken in the fridge. I happen to have all of the other ingredients handy so I was able to pull this meal together really quickly. Lemme tell you- the quesadillas were scrumptious! The fresh garlic really made it come together. My family devoured these & just raved about how tasty they were! So thank you, we now have a fabulous recipe for left-over chicken that everyone in the family loves!
daisy Cuevas says
Absolutely delicioso! and simple to make! I will make it again and again.
Alisa O'Mara says
Great recipe! I threw in a couple extra jalapenos – my family loves hot peppers. I might try a habanero next time. 🙂 Thank you for this recipe.
This recipe is so delicious. My chicken quesadillas have always been a bit bland so I was looking to find a recipe with some kick. This is the one. Perfect!
Stephen Miller says
Just tried this…simply and delicious
My family LOVED this recipe! They ate it up and wanted more. I didn’t use the jalapeño because I didn’t have one and it still turned out great. ❤️
These were delicious!! Didn’t have the jalapeño so I used pepper Jack and cheddar. Definitely will be making these again.
My family love this recipe. I’m glad I found it. I don’t have jalapeno, I put chili flakes instead. Thanks Layla.
Happy to hear!
Janet Bradley says
Instead of the 1 medium jalapeno, diced; could Isuse I small can of green Chili pepper instead? I sooooo want to try this recipe.
You can go ahead and use 1/2 a can or to taste.
I always use the canned green chills and they turn out great!
So delicious! My family loves these!
This recipe was delicious! So glad I found it!
jocelyn thompson says
this is so good and yummy dishes i love making these
Oh sooo yummy!! I love quesadillas and this was just a wonderful and simple recipe for them.
They look amazing! I can’t wait to try them.
Alice E says
Awesome, love this recipe so much, really yummy and easy to make!!!