Spicy Cod Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and a Creamy Fish Sauce that is out of this world!
These Cod Fish Tacos come together in under 30 minutes and are sure to leave you satisfied when you have a craving for a tasty and unique seafood dish.
When you are in the mood for seafood, but you want to try something different, prepare these Cod Fish Tacos. These tacos are far different from the traditional tacos that you may be used to eating. You will need a few essential ingredients, including cod filets, seasonings, purple cabbage, and more, to create a delicious meal that will leave you satisfied.
What You’ll Need to Make Cod Fish Tacos
If you are going to make the Cod Fish Tacos, you need to have several essential ingredients. You will need to have:
- Cod Filets. Make sure to use skinless cod filets for these tacos.
- Lemon Juice. The lemon juice is just one of several essential ingredients needed to make the marinade for the fish.
- Paprika. Use the paprika to season the cod.
- Ground Cumin. Add cumin with the paprika to create the perfect light seasoning for your fish.
Besides the ingredients to make the perfect marinade for the cod, you will also need ingredients to prepare the sauce and slaw, including:
- Greek Yogurt. The Greek yogurt has the perfect consistency to create a sauce that will go great with the cod.
- Mayonnaise. Use any mayonnaise brand that you prefer to mix in with the yogurt and other ingredients for the sauce, such as paprika and lemon juice.
- Purple Cabbage. Use shredded purple cabbage when preparing your slaw to go on top of the cod.
- Shredded Carrots. The shredded carrots offer the perfect crunch to go with the cod and sauce.
- Cilantro. Use cilantro to add a citrus-like taste to your tacos.
Other ingredients needed include salt, corn tortillas, chopped jalapenos, frozen corn, and oil.
How to Make Cod Fish Tacos
When making Cod Fish Tacos, start by making your marinade. You will combine oil, lemon juice, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt. Put your cod filet in the bowl with the marinade and let it sit for 30 minutes.
How to Make Slaw for Tacos
While your cod marinades, prepare the slaw for the tacos. To a large bowl, add the shredded cabbage, carrots, corn, jalapeno, cilantro, Greek yogurt, and lemon juice. Stir until combined, cover, and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
The Best Fish Taco Sauce
This is my secret fish taco sauce that can be used on just about any tacos! To prepare the sauce, you will need to mix your mayo with yogurt, lemon juice, paprika, and salt. Make sure the sauce has a creamy consistency. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
When you are ready to cook the fish. Heat your skillet and put the fish in it. Sear your cod for up to five minutes. Remove the cod from the skillet and break it into chunks.
Char your corn tortillas over an open flame on your stovetop. Set them on a plate, put the fish in the center of your tortilla, and then add your sauce and slaw. Garnish the tacos using some chopped jalapenos and a bit of cilantro for added flavor.
How to Store the Cod Fish Tacos
Assemble your Cod Fish Tacos, wrap them in plastic wrap, and then put them in a food storage container with a lid. Store the tacos in your refrigerator for up to three days. You can reheat them in the microwave
More Delicious Tacos to Try
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa & Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce
- Healthy Fish Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- Chicken and Avocado Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Sriracha Sauce & Cilantro Lime Slaw
- Carne Asada Tacos
The Best Cod Fish Tacos
To marinade fish
- 1 lb skinless cod fillet
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt to taste
To make sauce
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
To make slaw
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tbsp jalapenos, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- To marinate the fish, combine oil, lemon juice, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt. Add the fish fillet and coat well. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce by combining the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, paprika, and salt. Mix them until creamy and smooth and set aside.
- Combine the “to make slaw” ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a skillet and place the marinated fish. Sear the fish and cook for 3-5 minutes until the fish is completely done. Remove the fish fillets to a plate and break them into chunks.
- To assemble the tortillas; char the corn tortillas on an open flame. Place the tortilla on a plate, add some chunks of fish, add a tablespoon of slaw and drizzle the prepared sauce on top.
- Garnish with jalapenos and cilantro before serving.
Lynn e says
This was a great preparation The slaw was especially delicious. Thank you.
Monica Van Rickley says
I marinated the fish, but I really couldn’t taste all the seasoning – so not sure if that did the trick or not. I’m a cheater and subbed may for the greek yogurt in the slaw and changed salt for seasoned salt with a teaspoon of dijon added and husband said it was the BEST fish tacos ever!!! Although I love the sauce, it honestly didn’t even need the extra calories- So yummy
getting increased tremendously... says
I almost didn’t see your thumb.