Creamy mushroom soup is perfect for those cold days when you want something warm and soothing to eat. This Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe is simple enough to make and is far better for you than the canned version.
If you like Cream of Mushroom Soup, but you do not like the sodium levels in the canned versions, you are in luck. Instead of buying the canned stuff, you can follow this recipe to prepare the soup with fresh ingredients. Not only will it taste much better, but it will also be a lot better for you to consume.
You can prepare this delicious soup using mushroom, chicken broth, and assorted seasonings, such as thyme and parsley, to give it more flavor. If you are a fan of mushrooms, this soup will undoubtedly satisfy you.
What You’ll Need to Make the Cream of Mushroom Soup
When you want to make fresh Cream of Mushroom Soup at home, you will need to have the following ingredients:
- Chicken Broth. Use low-sodium chicken broth to cut down on the sodium levels when preparing this homemade soup.
- Heavy Cream. Adding heavy cream to the mix is the perfect way to create a thicker consistency for your soup.
- Flour. Just a bit of flour is all you will need to make the soup a bit thicker.
- Brown Mushroom. Slice your brown mushroom into pieces before adding it in with your other ingredients.
- Yellow Onion. Chop your onion into small pieces to bring more flavor to the soup.
- Butter. Use two tablespoons of butter to enhance the flavor of your soup.
- Parsley. Add parsley to the top of your soup as a garnish.
Other ingredients you will need include olive oil, minced garlic, dried thyme, ground black pepper, and salt.
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
Prepare the Cream of Mushroom Soup by melting butter in a pan and adding oil to it. Begin cooking your chopped onions in the butter and oil until they become translucent. Toss in the minced garlic and cook it with the onions for a minute. After a minute passes, toss in your sliced mushroom and cook them for about four minutes.
Sprinkle in the flour, thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt, and then mix the ingredients for a minute.
Pour your chicken broth into the pan with the other ingredients, cover the pan, and then cook the soup for up to 10 minutes on a medium-low flame.
After 10 minutes, add your heavy cream to the pan and allow your soup to simmer for another two minutes. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top to garnish and serve your soup in a bowl.
How to Store the Cream of Mushroom Soup
Store your Cream of Mushroom Soup in a sealed food container. You can put the food container in your fridge to keep it fresh for up to five days. If you need to keep the soup even longer than that or plan on preparing it in advance, add it to the food storage container and then put it in the freezer.
You can freeze the soup for six months, thawing it out in the fridge the night before you reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
More Delicious Soups to Try
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 30 Minute Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Creamy Taco Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 8 oz brown mushroom sliced
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp parsley dried
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat a heavy bottom pan; add butter, once the butter has melted add oil.
- Add the onions and cook until they turn translucent. Add in the minced garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the sliced mushroom and cook for 3-4 minutes until the mushroom releases its moisture.
- Sprinkle the flour along with the thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt. Mix well for a minute.
- Add the chicken broth and mix it well. Cover with lid and cook the soup for 7-10 minutes on a medium-low flame until the mushroom soup thickens.
- Stir in the heavy cream and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Finally, garnish the soup with fresh parsley and serve warm.
Terry Stenson says
Geesh! I need to check my spelling before posting. I meant to say Thanks!
Terry Stenson says
Unbelievably tasty and very filling ! Great for this time of the year to. I don’t believe I’ll ever eat another cream of mushroom soup out of the can again. So glad you posted this. I just love your site!! I’m going to add some chicken next time. I’m sure the addition will be great. I always make a recipe as written first before I add or change anything. ThNKA gain. Please keep those keto recipes coming!!!