Can you believe it’s already mid December? One more week until winter break and the next thing you know it’s January. It feels like yesterday was just August.
Before winter sneaks through our fingers, I wanted to catch up to it with warm soups, hot drinks, and cozy meals. But as much I love soups and as healthy as they are, the calories creep up on you without you even realizing it. One of the ingredients I try to avoid is heavy cream because it’s packed with so much fat and calories.
Today I decided to for a healthier version of my favorite broccoli soup recipe. This version uses evaporated milk instead of heavy cream and the addition of the potato makes the soup extra hearty and creamy.
To make this soup creamy, I got some help from the new OXO Illuminating Digital Immersion Blender. One of my favorite things about this immersion blender is that it’s illuminating. It has a fluorescent type light that automatically switches on when your blending so it’s not so dark in those big pots while your blending food. It makes it easier to see what your done. As you can see from the picture below, my large 6 quart cast iron pan was filled with tons of light from the OXO blender.
Another thing I really like about this immersion blender is that is has nylon head and silicone-coated shaft which means you can use it on non-stick pots and pans without scratching! It’s definitely a keeper!
- 1 large russet potato cleaned, unpeeled
- 3 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock water can also be used
- 1 can low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake potato (whole, un-peeled )in microwave for 8-10 minutes or until soft in the center. Allow it to cool slightly and peel the potato. Mash the peeled potato with the cream cheese as if you were making mashed potatoes; Set Aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot. Add the onion and cook it for 5-6 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the garlic and flour to onion, stirring for about a minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and evaporated milk, stirring continuously to break up any chunks.
- Next stir in the mashed potato mixture, salt, pepper, and broccoli. Bring this to a low simmer for 8-10 minutes until it has thickened. Blend with the a nimmersion blender for about a minute until the mixture is creamy.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the cheese until it has melted.
I received an OXO Illuminating Immersion Blender for review purposes only. As always, all opinions are my own.
This recipe looks good, Did I miss where you used the immersion blender?
I totally forgot to add that part! How ironic. I’ve updated the post now. Thanks!
Looks yummy! Do you have the nutritional values?
Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps says
Oooo I’m so into this!! Broccoli is one of my very favorite veggies, and obviously I love a broccoli cheddar soup, but the fact that this is lightened-up, yet retains all that creaminess, makes me want giant bowl NOW!