Shake up your lunch time routine with these healthy mason jar burrito bowls. They are packed with protein, whole grains and nutritional veggies that will help keep you full for hours. They are also very flavorful and easy to assemble.
Meal prepping just keeps getting better. You all know how much I love my burritos, so I just had to try them in mason jars and I was not disappointed. These mason jar burrito bowls are great for meal prepping because they are very easy to assemble and store very well too. Mason jars are not a must, but they are great for portioning the ingredients and present great!
Now there are a few important tips to insure the best possible mason jar burrito bowl.
- The liquid must be in the very bottom. For these burrito bowls, sour-cream, dressing, or salsa works great.
- The next layer is the black beans or corn. These go perfectly on the dressing.
- The 3rd layer is the rice. You can use white, brown or even quinoa.
- The 4th layer is Lettuce, tomatoes, onion, avocado are great in burrito bowls.
- Now the final layer is the cheese, cilantro, and any other add-ins you would like.
Now you can obviously switch things up and add your favorite burrito bowl fill-ins. You can also scratch out the rice all together and make a light and skinny burrito salad. The possibilities are endless but the result is always a healthy delicious burrito bowl!
- 1/2 cup dressing or sour-cream, salsa
- 1 cup each black beans and corn
- 2 cups cooked rice white, brown or quinoa
- 2 cups chopped grilled chicken or beef
- 1 cup each diced tomatoes, avocado, romaine lettuce, spinach (red onion optional)
- sprinkle of mozzarella cheese optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 4 16oz pint mason jars
- Cook rice according to package directions. Once rice is finished cooking, stir in 1 tablespoon cilantro and juice of 1/4 lime for every cup of cooked rice. This step is optional.
In a pint size mason jar, layer ingredients in the following order: 2 tablespoons dressing, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup corn,rice, 1/2 cup chicken, 1/4 cup tomato, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cup romaine, and cheese. Repeat for all 4 mason jars.Cover with lid and refrigerate.
- When ready to eat, shake jar until contents are mixed and enjoy pour or into a bowl and top with crumbled tortilla chips!
So the beef or chicken goes in near the top? I think that part missed out
how long do they keep, like fir meal prep
They will keep for about 3 days in the fridge.
How far in advance can you prepare these mason jar burrito bOwls?
These look great! Are thesE burrito bowls meant to be eaten cold?
Allison K says
Could something like sundried tomatoes be used in place of raw tomato?