Spicy and creamy 30-minute butter chicken with basmati rice and quick stove-top naan. This tasty meal will add spice and flavor to your lunch routine! If you’re looking for a way to switch up your meal-prep routine then this is a great way to do so. Butter chicken is my favorite Indian dish and also one of the only dishes we have on a monthly basis. I’ve simplified my favorite butter chicken recipe so that it’s quick and easy to make and packed full of flavor and spice. It’s great for meal-prepping and makes lunchtime 100x better.
The basmati rice soaks up all the creamy buttery sauce from the butter chicken and the quick garlic stove-top naan is a great addition. You can skip the naan if you’re feeling super lazy and just go with the basmati rice and butter chicken.
Meal-Prep Butter Chicken
For the butter chicken
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced or grated (or use paste)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced or crushed
- 1 ½ pounds about 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ¾-inch chunks
- 1 can, 6 oz. tomato paste (or 8-10 oz can of tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or paprika, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek, I use powder, but seeds or mustard seeds can be used too, optional*
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream, sub for half & half or yogurt for low fat
For the rice
- 1 cup basmati rice, or jasmine
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Large pinch salt
- To cook butter chicken:Heat a large skillet or medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and onions and cook onions down until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and let cook for 30 seconds, stirring so it doesn’t burn. Add the chicken, tomato paste, and spices. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Add the heavy cream and simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- To make naan: Combine the garlic, butter, cilantro and butter in a small bowl. Set aside. Divide pizza dough into 8 equal portions. Roll the dough into a small circle using a rolling-pin. Heat up a skillet (cast-iron preferred) over high heat and lightly grease the surface with some oil to avoid the dough from sticking to the skillet. Place the dough in the skillet. When it puffs up and bubbles and burnt spots appear, flip it over and spread with the garlic butter mixture. Cook until done. Repeat the same until all dough is done.
- To cook rice: Wash rice until it runs clear then rinse. In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- To Assemble: Measure 1 cup of cooked rice into each meal prep container. Pour about 1 cup of the butter chicken on the rice. Wrap a naan with foil or plastic wrap. To heat, microwave containers for 2 minutes or until steamy. Micwaorve naan for just 20 seconds.